Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   PLEASE PLEASE READ!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/please-please-read-t162551.html)

sewcrafty 10-23-2011 06:04 AM

I've just had a house fire because of a stupid $2 extension cord. I had 2 things plugged into it that were not in use and it fried. I probably have close to $100k in damages because of this.

Please, please, please, go around your homes and get rid of those cords and replace either with strips or 3 prong cords. You really don't want what has transpired happening, this is not fun at all. I've lost both of my machines in this, tons of my notions and fabrics. Some I can't even find! Disintegrated!!! All my projects, gone! Pressies, gone!

We lucked out that we were home when it happened or I would not have a house. That is not worth a $2 item on any budget.

Please keep yourself and your families safe!!!! Especially with the holidays coming, everyone uses those cords. Don't! Please.

PegD 10-23-2011 06:07 AM

So sorry this has happened to you. Thank you for the warning.

jrhboxers 10-23-2011 06:07 AM

I am so sorry to hear about this. My husband is a volunteer fire fighter so everything we have a heavy duty extensions or power strips.

Glad that no one was hurt but what a heart ache. Hugs and prayers to you.

Highmtn 10-23-2011 06:07 AM

My home burned up in 2003 due to a short in the inner wall wiring. MY HEARTFELT CONDOLENCES!

It's horrible ordeal, and what my insurance company put me through (I had to sue them) was almost worse then the fire.

We had no loss of life...even got the hamster out.. so we felt blessed. We lost a LOT, but not everything.

I will take your advice and go check the house... I think we have everything on power strips...but I'll make sure. We always change the batteries in our 7 smoke detectors annually too.

((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))))

chelgvns 10-23-2011 06:08 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss! I appreciate the heads up, we do use these and will be replacing them pronto

Sadiemae 10-23-2011 06:09 AM

I am so sorry for your fire. I don't have any extension cords that are not the thick round ones and the serger strips.

PABerard 10-23-2011 06:13 AM

I am so sorry for your house fire. And thank you for your thoughtfulness in warning all of us to such a simple fix. Good luck with sorting out this mess :cry:
Pat

Mariposa 10-23-2011 06:14 AM

Thanks for the reminder! So sorry for your loss~

oldswimmer 10-23-2011 06:14 AM

Oh my....soooo Sorry to hear about your loss...but so thankful that you, your family AND the hamster are ok. Thanks for the heads up. I will be checking my cords through the house now too.

I will also keep a good thought about dealing with your insuruance company. Let me know when you are ready, and I will help you restock your stash ! I am very serious. I have so much, and would love nothing more than to share some with a fellow QB member that may need some. I can even send it now if you are ready. PM me when you are ready and what you may like, and I will send you a box.

Wishing you the best, and glad you and family are safe!
Pegg

alikat110 10-23-2011 06:14 AM

Aweful!!!