Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   question about having company and manners (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/question-about-having-company-manners-t226332.html)

Sandygirl 07-22-2013 02:23 PM

You are certainly blessed if this is the only thing that upsets you. I wish I had a MIL.

SANDY

mimom 07-22-2013 02:39 PM

believe me its not the ONLY thing she does

I just was wondering as I was always taught to take my plate and dishes off the table at home and automatically do it when I am a guest somewhere else. She just always leaves her glass or Mcdonalds bags, etc. I didn't know if I should expect her to do it or if proper etiquette was for her to leave it laying around. My boys are taught to clean up after themselves. My mother leaves her glass too and she was the one who taught me to pickup my dishes at home or at somewhere else.

Originally Posted by Sandygirl (Post 6190828)
You are certainly blessed if this is the only thing that upsets you. I wish I had a MIL.

SANDY

carolaug 07-22-2013 02:46 PM

I agree... I was bought up, if I am the host I would do it..and I prefer to pick up the dishes...I know where it goes...in the dishwasher...better than the old days when it went in the sink to be washed.

mimom 07-22-2013 02:54 PM

so when I stop by her house I should leave my glass on the table and leave. I would have to make a conscious effort to leave it for her. But if that is what is expected I guess I should.

QuiltnNan 07-22-2013 03:13 PM

i'm of the camp who does not expect guests to remove their dishes. in fact, i prefer that they don't. i don't like dishes left in the sink... i rinse them and stack them neatly to the side for washing. i like the sink to be left free for other uses until i can get the dishes washed.

mimom 07-22-2013 03:25 PM

say she stops buy with a beverage from McDonald's sits down at the table, talks for a while then goes home but leaves her trash behind instead of throwing it out on her way out the door. One time when she did this with a whole meal from McDonald's I ran the bag out to her before she pulled out of the driveway and said "oh you forgot your leftovers" (bag fries).

snow 07-22-2013 03:34 PM

I just wished I still had my MIL lost her on motherday this year she was a great mil I had the best MIL and FIL both r gone. Don't sweat it as something as simple as that.

Rosyhf 07-22-2013 05:17 PM

I used to treat my MIL like a queen. I loved her. She was a good woman and I would pick her dishes up anytime.

Letty 07-23-2013 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by mimom (Post 6190740)
when my MIL comes to visit she always asks for a glass of water. When the visit is over she leaves her glass on the kitchen table where she was sitting, is it rude or an old tradition for the host (me) to remove the glass and put it in the sink?

thanks for any insight you can offer me.

Kim

My dear Kim, if that is the bigest problem with your MIL, then you are blessed! I always clear up if needed after my guests, unless they insist in helping,but one glass I think would never be a problem. Relax ,Love Letty

honeybea 07-23-2013 03:31 AM

It may have just slipped her mind....besides it is such a small thing to waste time over. She is just visiting. Enjoy the visit and go around later and clean up.
l