Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Read any good books lately? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/read-any-good-books-lately-t167337.html)

Murphy 11-09-2011 08:08 PM

I like books by Susan Wittig Albert; not quilting, but an herbalist (mysteries). Great reads. Give them a try.

LeslieFrost 11-09-2011 08:22 PM

I like the Alexander McCall Smith series that is set in Botswana. The main character is Ma Ramotswe, the first female detective in the country. They are light, but amusing, and Ma Ramotswe is very clever!

I recently read Bread, Bones and Butter, a memoir of a NYC female chef. I enjoyed it very much!

Hope your hospital stay goes well.

macygma 11-10-2011 08:01 AM

Well, I review books on the side so I've read some dandies (and quite a few not-so-dandy as well). I just read one called "Dream of Me" by Jennifer Froelich that I liked, "The Assassination of Governor Boggs" by Rod Miller if you like history, "Invisible Snow" by Quinn Barrett and "Haunted on Bourbon Street" by Deanna Chase if you like fun paranormal. Now I'll shut up.

Sew N Tune 11-10-2011 08:11 AM

I've been picking up many books in the sale bins at Books A Million for $3.97 ea. My latest find was Best Intentions, by Emily Listfield. Great author, and a very good story.

Krisb 11-10-2011 08:12 AM

Donna Andrew--funny as... Sharyn McCrumb, most set in Appalachia. M.C. Beaton, set In Scotland. None of these are about quilting, but they are all a quick read.

Karenn 11-10-2011 09:00 AM

Have you read any by Clare O'Donohue? I've read The Drunkard's Path, The Lover's Knot and am now reading The Double Cross. The author was a producer of HGTV's SIMPLY QUILTS. They're all quilts mystery stories. Thanks for asking because I was getting low on authors to check out. I hope these reading suggestions will help make your stay in the hospital enjoyable, if that's ever possible. Have a speedy recovery.

sitzy 11-10-2011 12:50 PM

I have a kindle on my I-pad but don't use it because I don't want to buy the books. I did buy one book but what
do I do with it once I read it? My questions is do you get free books to put on your kindle and if so, where or how
I am such a novice at the computer or I-pad or anything new. Thanks for any suggestions or instructions.

Sandra-P 11-10-2011 02:27 PM

I just finished The Hangmans Daughter by Oliver Potzsch its a historical novel, may not be for everyone but I enjoyed it.

MinnieKat 11-10-2011 04:52 PM

I recommend the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich ... they're hilarious!! You'll laugh out loud! There are many times when I'm reading with my hand over my mouth so I don't make any noise. I'm smiling right now just thinking about them. :):):)

TexasSunshine 11-10-2011 05:18 PM

I'm reading a Sue Grafton book right now. Her books are good.