Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   really feel like I'm loosing it. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/really-feel-like-im-loosing-t108409.html)

LoriEl 03-17-2011 12:31 PM

I'm in the club. Took my DD to the doc and we were running late. Time to leave I can't find keys and YEP! 1 1/2 hrs later there's the car running all locked up nice & safe.

sdeaaz 03-17-2011 12:35 PM

I'm starting to feel a little better. quilter 1234

Jennifer22206 03-17-2011 12:47 PM

My DH locked his keys in the trunk of his car when we were getting back from the airport. It was Dec. 19th. We had to wait outside for 2 hours with a 2 year old.

You're not alone.

judy_68 03-17-2011 12:48 PM

I actually locked my boys in the car when they were infants TWICE!!! Do you feel better now??????

cjomomma 03-17-2011 12:50 PM

This is why I now carry extra keys in my purse. I have done it too many times.

amandasgramma 03-17-2011 12:51 PM

I had a friend that did that, only she left her car locked up and running in her driveway ALL night long!!!! Me, nope, never did such a thing....that's my story and I'm sticking to it.... :) :)

Quiltforme 03-17-2011 12:54 PM

Been there done that locked kids in car 3 times when they were babies.

MCH 03-17-2011 01:02 PM

My son was moving to a new place and I had loaded some things from his apartment into the trunk of my car. Knowing my purse would get lost in the "rubble and chaos" of packing, I had put it into the trunk, but tucked my keys into my pocket.

I went merrily on to the packing / loading project. When it came time to unlock the trunk, I was "cool" because I had my key in had and could push the button to "pop" the trunk.

Loaded the trunk, shut the trunk...and THEN remembered I had lain the key on my purse in the trunk...not only had I locked my keys into the trunk, the car doors were locked, as well. I couldn't push the "trunk release" button inside the car.

My cell phone was safely ensconced in my purse. The car was parked in a semi-underground parking garage.

I was quite upset as I could only think of how utterly stupid and inattentive I had been, as well as "burning daylight" instead of helping my son.

Almost in tears of frustration, I went back to son's apartment, told him how stupid I'd been and apologized profusely for wasting valuable time.

My husband was at home, but that was a 25- min. drive, one-way.

What followed was the classic "The Child Becomes the Parent" scenario.

"Mom, it's OK. You have OnStar. We'll just call and they will unlock the car. No problem. It'll be just fine."

"But I don't remember the number, my phone is in the car, and the car in parked under the building. I'm so irked with myself," I wailed.

"Mom, I have my cell phone. Don't worry. I'll try 1-800-OnStar."

"Hello, OnStar, how can I help you?"

Most of my tears dried up with that.

My son handed me the phone and in less than 2 minutes, all the lights on the car flashed and voila! the car was unlocked.

I've used OnStar other times to lock my car. One of those times, I was at a hockey game and had parked several blocks away from the arena -- and didn't remember if I'd locked the car or not. OnStar locked it for me.

I get such a kick when the person tells me to "step away from the car and don't touch it until I tell you it's OK." Then, all the lights flash, the horn blows, and the locks go "clunk!"

Anyway, I love, love, love having OnStar. If you have the option to purchase it on a new car, buy it. Between having OnStar and my cell phone (with a car charger) with me, I know that help is literally a button away. OnStar communication is via cellular technology, thus, one truly has a back-up cell phone built into the car. My car has a phone number...and my husband and son have called it!!

Back to the story of helping my son to move. He said he'd not seen me so "spun up" in years and was glad he was there to help me out and to calm me down. I loved it when he put his arm around me and said, "Mom, it's OK. Don't worry."

Since then, it's made for a good "family story".

Oh, BTW, I've used OnStar a couple of times since then.

auntmag 03-17-2011 01:09 PM

I haven't but my children have.

mltquilt 03-17-2011 01:45 PM

I recently purchased a 2011 Kia Sorento with one of those smart keys. Smarter than me. I've tried to lock it and it would not lock only to realize I had not turned the key off. We all get distracted at times.

mltquilt