Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Sadly we have lost a creative leader that changed us (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/sadly-we-have-lost-creative-leader-changed-us-t158304.html)

Jamiestitcher62 10-06-2011 04:36 AM

iSad!

MaryAnnMc 10-06-2011 04:43 AM

When my son moved it, we switched to a Mac (no more in-house geek to fix the constantly misbehaving PC) and I have been amazed at the difference. I love my Macs, will never own a PC again. Love my iPod. But I draw the line at iPhones, I don't use the cell I have.

I wonder what we'll miss without his genius? We'll never know what the next revolution might have been. Apple won't be the same without him.

JoyjoyMarie 10-06-2011 04:49 AM

It is a great loss. Was so sorry to hear. Words fail me.

Stitchnripper 10-06-2011 05:17 AM

Very great loss - to his family - he still has young children, and to the rest of us who benefit from his creative genius. I switched to an iMac and an iPhone - which is really a small computer with a phone added. I get so much pleasure from these things. Thank you Steve Jobs.

quiltymom 10-06-2011 05:37 AM

He will be missed thanks for all Steve!!!

ranbro 10-06-2011 05:43 AM

I absolutely agree that we have lost a great visionary. My partner and I love the Apple products. Between us, we have 2 macbook pros, 1 macbook air, 2 IPods, 2 IPads, and 2 I phones. I send condolences to the family in their hour of grieving.

Becka 10-06-2011 05:51 AM

I got to spend about a 1/2 this a.m. explaining to my kids who he was and what he did. They walked away speechless, staring at their "i"-toys. I hope I didn't ruin their day, but I wanted them to understand his creativity, determination, vision, etc... They are adopted, as was he, so they felt a small level of kinship with him. I hope they're inspired to find and pursue their passions for the love of the passion and not the money or fame it could bring.

Murphy1 10-06-2011 05:54 AM

There is a co written biography about him due out in November that I have ordered. I never met him, but in Silicon Valley he was just such a big part of who the Valley represented in terms of creative leaders. I did me Steve Wozniac at a conference once. Again I think he had such a large influence on how people use technology today. It seemed everything they came out with was copied in so many ways I also admire how he kept his family out of the public and they had a normal life in Woodside.

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Even knowing that he had cancer, pancreatic cancer, which doesn't have a good prognosis, even knowing he'd finally stepped down from Apple (knowing it had to be because his health no longer permitted him to work), it was a shock to find out he died.

I read a biography about him years ago, and he was just such a fascinating person.

I think you called it right when you dubbed him a "creative leader" - that's exactly what he was.

I never met him, but I feel terrible right now, as though I've lost someone I knew.

Murphy1 10-06-2011 05:58 AM

I you get a chance listen to his granduation speech at Stanford in 2005. It has some very inspiring messages for living life. If your kids aren't too small it might let them see that thinking differently is a good thing.

Originally Posted by Becka
I got to spend about a 1/2 this a.m. explaining to my kids who he was and what he did. They walked away speechless, staring at their "i"-toys. I hope I didn't ruin their day, but I wanted them to understand his creativity, determination, vision, etc... They are adopted, as was he, so they felt a small level of kinship with him. I hope they're inspired to find and pursue their passions for the love of the passion and not the money or fame it could bring.

Sheila_H 10-06-2011 06:13 AM

He was definitely a creative mastermind when it came to computers, my SIL has 2 of them I wish we could afford to own one ourselves. Our world will definitely be different without people like him around. My prayers go out to his family.