Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Sadly we have lost a creative leader that changed us (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/sadly-we-have-lost-creative-leader-changed-us-t158304.html)

Murphy1 10-06-2011 07:44 AM

This quote is from his graduation speech given to Stanford students in 05 -

Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything ... all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart. - Steve Jobs

BuzzinBumble 10-06-2011 07:54 AM

Yes it was very sad news. My heart goes out to Steve Jobs' loved ones.

JoanneS 10-06-2011 07:55 AM

I grieve for his family and for all the things he did not live to imagine. He literally changed the way we communicate, read and listen to music. The Nobel prize should have been awarded to him YEARS ago - but what category does imagination fit into?

kcferrel 10-06-2011 08:21 AM

Steve Job was a visionary thinker who changed how we interact with our world. Obama's quote yesterday was poignant, to think that so many of us read of his death on a device that he helped to create..... I only hope that Apple can continue to change our world... he was such an instrumental component of Apple.... validated by how the company suffered when each time he left, and recovered with amazing change when he took the helm.. The iPhone and iPad.... I truly believe that these devices are going to change how our children learn....
Yes, he will be missed.

JoanneS 10-06-2011 08:51 AM

Our high school distributed IPads to all the freshmen this year instead of textbooks. Less expensive than textbooks! Non-school sites are blocked at school, and parents have received instruction re how to block sites, should they choose to do so. Amazing. No more overloaded backpacks! I hope this happens for elementary school, too!

Murphy1 10-06-2011 09:38 AM

Wow that is impressive. I do think this is the future. I think about my grandsons growing up interacting on an iPad rather than a book. My son is a software engineer in Silicon Valley and the iPad is a very comfortable device for my 4 year old grandson. As a retired teacher, I see a different way to interact with information really changing the way our children's brains work. That is the challenge our teachers need to meet.

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Our high school distributed IPads to all the freshmen this year instead of textbooks. Less expensive than textbooks! Non-school sites are blocked at school, and parents have received instruction re how to block sites, should they choose to do so. Amazing. No more overloaded backpacks! I hope this happens for elementary school, too!

grandme26 10-06-2011 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
My first computer was an Apple IIe for about $3200! Without the printer! It was a great tool and really got me into computers.

Thanks, Steve!

Ditto, but we payed $3500, and still have it. No longer use it. I did plan my oldest daughter's wedding on it and that was over 23 yrs ago.

grandme26 10-06-2011 09:40 AM

I guess I doubled clicked SORRY.

TootieAnn 10-06-2011 09:42 AM

Yes! We have had Mac computers since the 1980's. We love them and follow new releases closely. He will be missed!

FroggyinTexas 10-06-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
My first computer was an Apple IIe for about $3200! Without the printer! It was a great tool and really got me into computers.

Thanks, Steve!

Mine cost $2,500 and I thought it would last forever. It was a great little computer. Thanks to Steve Jobs and his willingness to let others in the company create machines that were made from what he called a "liberal arts perspective." We are all richer for his genius. froggyintexas