Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Scary movies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/scary-movies-t161091.html)

traumaRN 10-17-2011 08:58 AM

It's that time of year again when AMC, Syfy, and TCM will be running their Halloween movie marathons. I am a sucker for scary movies and love watching stories about ghosts and haunted houses. I can't say that I have a favorite movie but I was wondering if you guys have a favorite scary movie?

Airwick156 10-17-2011 09:00 AM

Nope Not Me. I don't watch Scary Movies as I am a chicken and I have nightmares. So I don't watch any scary movie.

gramajo 10-17-2011 09:04 AM

Don't like 'em. I rented Silence of the Lambs & watched about 20 minutes. Too scared to watch the rest.
I must have been 12/13 yo when House of Wax came out. It was the 1st 3D movie I'd seen. Had nightmares about it for months. I can still see the bad guy swinging out towards me. lol

QuiltnNan 10-17-2011 09:10 AM

not me either. i don't like scary movies

leatheflea 10-17-2011 09:14 AM

I love em! I also like to watch the ghost story shows. However I dont like really bloody movies, I think you can scare the heck out of me without getting gross. Dont have any faves, but if my choices are tear jerker or scary theres no question scary, who wants to cry?

IAmCatOwned 10-17-2011 09:14 AM

Favorite scary movies: The Thing (Kurt Russell), Halloween (1st one), Aliens, Jaws, and Dracula (with Frank Langella).

There are, of course, lots of great horror movies but these are my top 5 (and the only ones I bought the DVDs for). The only reason I don't have Hitchcock movies on this list is because his are more psychological thrillers than today's horror. Exorcist 3 would fall in similar to his style (you don't actually see anybody die).

Just as scary are old horror radio programs that you can get for free as podcasts at Itunes. Lights Out has some of the spookiest stories!

For less scary (more appropriate for kids), my favorite is Hocus Pocus (Disney).

Murphy 10-17-2011 09:19 AM

I like Hocus Pocus, Casper, Twitches, etc. (these kind of not so scary movies) - smile.

ptquilts 10-17-2011 10:11 AM

I guess I am getting too old - "scary" movies don't really scare me any more. Just got through watching Scream 1, 2, and 3 (long story - don't ask!!) - I just thought they were stupid.
And I hate violent/gory movies - I have to turn away.

I do like psychological thrillers - it's just the fantasy/supernatural part that I can't get into.

Cyn 10-17-2011 10:12 AM

I don't like to be scared. I think reading the paper and looking at our investments is scary enough!

traumaRN 10-17-2011 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned
Favorite scary movies: The Thing (Kurt Russell), Halloween (1st one), Aliens, Jaws, and Dracula (with Frank Langella).

There are, of course, lots of great horror movies but these are my top 5 (and the only ones I bought the DVDs for). The only reason I don't have Hitchcock movies on this list is because his are more psychological thrillers than today's horror. Exorcist 3 would fall in similar to his style (you don't actually see anybody die).

Just as scary are old horror radio programs that you can get for free as podcasts at Itunes. Lights Out has some of the spookiest stories!

For less scary (more appropriate for kids), my favorite is Hocus Pocus (Disney).

Thanks for the tip on the radio shows! I will definitely have to check that out.
And I agree that "slasher" movies do not interest me at all. I guess that would fall more under the "horror" category.
I did think of a recent scary movie that I thought was great-the Paranormal Activity series. Saw 1 and 2 and can't wait to see 3!