Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Selfies! Stop it! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/selfies-stop-t251454.html)

mike'sgirl 08-08-2014 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6835443)
I use Facebook for quilting. Lots of great give aways, flash sales, and free patterns. I won a Go Baby, Aurifil thread sets, rulers, books, magazines, pattern, quilt kits and too many fat quarter packs to count. Facebook is a great resource for quilting. I have a personal Facebook page for family stuff. I don't mind blocking any family member if they start posting annoying pics.

Would you mind sharing the pages that you follow where you win items? Thanks

carolaug 08-08-2014 02:41 PM

I love checking out the pictures to see what my friends and family are up to. I also post lots of pictures of my family and yes I am in the pictures too...I love how I am connected with family and friends that I normally do not see for a few years...I always feel connected to all... I do have to block the religon and politics...hate how pushy people are with their beliefs.

M.Elizabeth 08-08-2014 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 6835291)
Don't do facebook so no need for me to deal with selfies! I think the whole thing is idiotic, myself.

Same here!

Trisher 08-08-2014 04:46 PM

Well FaceBook for me is a huge time saver. When I post "Going to bed in 10 minutes, it saves me from making 457 phone calls". :D

cookiemonster 08-08-2014 04:51 PM

Yes, I hate selfies especially when in hands of people with health conditions. If used appropriate to describe the person's skill or hobby then good. I had one ninny, take picture of me emptying my garbage in the backlane while she was sitting on her hinny with shrapnode stappled to her nose (Think they call that jewelry) she took picture, while her skateboard lay beside her.. Sad no where to go, nothing to do with herself at such a young age.. Least read a book, quilt, jog something.. Right? It's a new odd world for me..

solstice3 08-08-2014 05:50 PM

I only do a selfie on vacation if I need an "I was there" shot and have no one to take the pic for me. Selfie mania is hopefully a short running fad

cashs_mom 08-08-2014 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by mermaid (Post 6835436)
re Facebook...I do email, snail mail, and phone. I prefer my info not be "out there". That is just me.

I'm the same. But then I'm a dinosaur! lol

katesnanna 08-08-2014 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 6835291)
Don't do facebook so no need for me to deal with selfies! I think the whole thing is idiotic, myself.

Ditto. Both Facebook and selfies

earthwalker 08-09-2014 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Carol Wilson (Post 6837147)
My comment Facebook is Wastebook, Get a Life was not meant with any malice, it is just a saying here in Australia, sometimes our sayings are lost in translation. I sincerely apologise if I offended anyone, but people who continually take photo's of themselves and tell you what they had for breakfast and what they do almost every minute of the day.

It is almost as bad as when you walk around or on public transport and see that almost everyone is hooked up to some gadget with earphones,(don't people have normal conversations anymore) I have an earphone attachement to my mobile phone (cell phone) I feel like I should use this but not attach it to anything so as I do not feel left out.

Many people have had serious accidents here when crossing roads etc as they are so obsessed with these gadgets they are not watching the traffic, one schoolgirl last year walked under a tram and was killed while texting.

So sorry if I upset anyone, now you can get back to your Facebook.

Another Aussie here......I echo your sentiments. Facebook/social media/internet are fabulous, fun and interesting ways to stay connected. I fear however, too many are spending far too much time and sharing far too much personal information for it to be healthy. As well as the accidents you mention, some are in danger of becoming socially crippled and emotionally stunted by this modern phenomena.

citruscountyquilter 08-09-2014 04:03 AM

I am on FB every day. It is how I keep in touch with extended family and friends. I have some that post selfies and I just generally skip right past them. Same with most of the political postings. I just figure it is part of the package and price I pay to get to the good stuff I want to see. Just like commercials in a TV program. The nice thing is on FB you just whiz right by them.