Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Speaking of long stockings - - - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/speaking-long-stockings-t121300.html)

cheryl rearick 05-06-2011 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
How about the fishnet stockings back in late 60's? We thought they looked soooooo cooool...

Didn't they :)

cheryl rearick 05-06-2011 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by emerald46
Fishnet, colored tight, white go-go boots...I was there!

lol if you were wearing go go boots they you worn the mini's lol

May in Jersey 05-06-2011 10:38 PM

'I remember in first and second grade wearing flesh colored long cotton knit stockings - I think we had some sort of kiddie garter belt to hold them up - I don't remember how they stayed up - they were thigh high."

Oh, I remember these, didn't have a garter belt but some round stretchy things to hold the stockings up. Problem was they never did stay up so when you walked first you pulled up one stocking and with the next step you pulled up the other stocking. In the Winter my mother would put the leggings that were part of my winter coat set under my dress and tell me to keep the leggings on in school, teachers didn't want us to do that but as first and second graders we had a hard time getting the straps of those heavy leggings on and off since they were under our dresses. Teachers didn't want to help us, can't blame them as there were 30 kids in our classes, teachers told the girls to wear those ugly thick cotton stockings which we hated. Either we wore them or our legs froze in the winter. May in Jersey

ptquilts 05-07-2011 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
How about the fishnet stockings back in late 60's? We thought they looked soooooo cooool...

I had hot pink fishnets that matched my hot pink mini dress and hot pink shoes :-) I could probably been seen coming from miles away. :lol:

WOW!! That's STYLIN'!!!

Miss Priss 05-07-2011 03:56 AM

And how about those Playtex rubber girdles. My dad said they were like wrapping a rubber band around a pencil. I too wish I were that size again.......

jhoward 05-07-2011 03:58 AM

You gals are reminding me of "fashions", I haven't thought about in yrs...is that called suppressing memory?? so funny.....long socks in grade school....garter belts.....OMG....good laughs for so early in the am...

jitkaau 05-07-2011 04:13 AM

Yes...unfortunately it's compression stockings now...

Kathy9052 05-07-2011 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau

LOL! They are harder to get on than the pantyhose. My husband has knee problems and needs help getting his compression stockings on each morning. He sits back in his recliner while I struggle to get the socks on him. Once or twice, I've lost my grip while pulling them up. He says that he needs a cup to protect his groin - just in case! He's grunting and groaning while I'm doing all the work and building up a sweat!

I haven't worn pantyhose in years and don't plan on doing it anytime soon. I hated the struggle to put them on. It looked like someone trying to pack sausage into a tube!

May in Jersey 05-07-2011 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau

Me too. I bought the extra wide size and still can't get them on, May

ssgramma 05-07-2011 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Priss
And how about those Playtex rubber girdles. My dad said they were like wrapping a rubber band around a pencil. I too wish I were that size again.......

I was a twig and heard this too. Funny now pulling on a pair of Spanx and thinking about when I didn't have enough hips to keep the panty girdle up!

I was just a little behind some of you and just missed the white go-go boots but not mini skirts and fighting over hemlines.