Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Starting each day sewing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/starting-each-day-sewing-t290456.html)

lots2do 08-14-2017 03:59 PM

Starting each day sewing?

Hi fellow quilters,
I was thinking about a conversation with a friend I had recently. She starts just about every day at her sewing machine. She makes her coffee and then does some paper piecing. I am not much of a morning person but I'm wondering if I should try this out. Might make me a happier person earlier in the day.
What do you think?

Faintly Artistic 08-14-2017 04:09 PM

OOOh, I'd never get anything else done. I have to exercise, do laundry/household things first thing or they don't get done. If I started off sewing, I'd lose track of time and everything else would get neglected!

Jingle 08-14-2017 04:19 PM

I get dressed, eat, do some chores. Then I start sewing, sew 4-5 hours then get onto supper and more chores.

Elise1 08-14-2017 04:22 PM

I sew early every morning before I go to my full time job. I love it!

I found that after work I was too tired and made too many mistakes.

Mornings work well for me. Give it a try.

osewme 08-14-2017 04:28 PM

Many, many nights I have trouble sleeping so I will get up & go into my sewing room, shut the door & sew for an hour or so. Sometimes I fold clothes too...:rolleyes: I don't start the day sewing as there are to many chores around here that need taking care of first.

daisydawg 08-14-2017 04:35 PM

Started sewing early in the morning about a week ago. Was spending so much time doing everything else I never got around to what I really want to do. So far it seems to be working pretty well for me. Have finished a couple of old UFO's and hope to also get better organized.

SusieQOH 08-14-2017 04:48 PM

You should try it and see if it works for you.
I have a little routine in the morning. I do the Washington Post crossword puzzle with my coffee. Even though I'm foggy when I wake up I enjoy the puzzle and quiet time. My husband knows I don't like to talk for awhile :)
I'm too foggy to sew first thing but when I clear up it's a different story!!
I try to always fit time each day to sew. It really relaxes me.

Cybrarian 08-14-2017 04:58 PM

Everyone is different, being honest with yourself- what do you think will work for you? Not sure, try a couple of different approaches: sew in your Jammies with morning coffee stopping at whatever time; get dressed, eat breakfast, sew for a while than tackle the day's "have to's" with a promise to yourself you can sew again for _____ amount of time when you're done; go in your sewing room and sew for as long as you want with a plan to do whatever "must do's" have to be completed at _____(time). You'll find the balance that works for you-and it really only has to work for you!

QuiltE 08-14-2017 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do (Post 7887074)
Hi fellow quilters,
I was thinking about a conversation with a friend I had recently. She starts just about every day at her sewing machine. She makes her coffee and then does some paper piecing. I am not much of a morning person but I'm wondering if I should try this out. Might make me a happier person earlier in the day.
What do you think?

You'll never know if this is for you, unless you give it a try!!!!

There are pros and cons to this strategy.
In all honesty, it really doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks ......
What matter is, what YOU think!

cjsews 08-14-2017 05:15 PM

I get up at 3am for work. There is no way I can sew then. A quick nap when I get home and then sew a bit if I get my butt off the couch.