Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Stash Building? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/stash-building-t265976.html)

GrammaNan 06-04-2015 04:32 PM

Last year I had so much fabric that people had given me or I had bought at garage sales it was causing me a lot of stress. Most of the fabrics were not cotton or were old and small pieces. I bagged it all up and donated it. I felt so much better afterward. Lately I have been buying fabric per project. I haven't been able to quilt for awhile so I am buying for future projects. I am building my stash slowly with cotton and updated fabrics. Wish me luck.

QuiltnLady1 06-04-2015 06:08 PM

In spite of all the gorgeous fabric out there, I need to unpack and use some of my stash before I try building stash.

Notwendy 06-04-2015 08:21 PM

I am in my acquiring phase (which I'm told never really ends). : )

I would gladly "trade" folding money for fabric. I used the phrase folding money online somewhere and a few didn't know the term. Cash not coin!

Anybody pruning their stash within a couple of hours from Milwaukee? I'd love to help lighten your load!

However, that said, I too get paralyzed when too much is out and about. I try to only have one project out at a time but swap them in and out frequently. I am a Magpie and just can't help jumping from shiny project to shiny project. What is this "finishing" or "completing" I've read others mention? : )

jmoore 06-05-2015 02:49 AM

I wish I lived near you... I would love to shop your stash, you have great taste!

I have not accumulated much but I try to keep my purchases to the projects I'm working on.

paoberle 06-05-2015 03:01 AM

Stash busting!

JeannieT 06-05-2015 03:03 AM

I keep telling myself my stash keeps growing so I have enough when I retire and money gets tighter......I can't even part with scraps. (except really small pieces, but even those I save in a basket to offer to someone else) Now my sister and I are on the thread stash building......sigh

Skhf 06-05-2015 04:33 AM

Sales are always so tempting. I have only been quilting a year but already feel I have too much fabric and not enough time. I feel guilty that I am not sharing the beautiful fabrics I have with others and just keep them for my eyes only. Of course I should probably get off the computer now and go pin my blocks together that are stacked on the dining room table.... and I should probably go to the office too! Have fun in everything you do.

Wanabee Quiltin 06-05-2015 05:55 AM

I try hard to use my stash, but it's so hard.......

sparkys_mom 06-05-2015 07:25 AM

When I first started quilting about six years ago I made an effort to stash build since I knew I'd be retiring in a few years. Well, I have way more than I need AND my tastes have changed. So I've given a lot away and still have more than I need. Now I only purchase what I need for a project and I try to use what I have as much as possible.

Rhonda Lee 06-05-2015 12:50 PM

I'm with the busting group. And the moving group. I think moving helps to be more aware of what we really have in our stash. I just filled 3 extra large garbage bags that were either donated to the local guild or good will. It felt so liberating. I know the fabric would of never made it in any of my quilts. It didn't seem to make much difference in my stash, I've got to live much longer!