Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   strange email (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/strange-email-t127449.html)

karenpatrick 06-03-2011 03:10 AM

It's a scam. We've gotten that email several times from several different "friends." It's a hoax. Don't know how they get our email addresses and know who our friends are.

jitkaau 06-03-2011 03:30 AM

Who paid for the email? Whose computer are they using?They don't sound very poor to me - possibly living on the donations of people they are duping into helping them.

Gerbie 06-03-2011 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by PurplePassion
I just got a strange email to my regular address; from Harriet Carpanini. Saying they were on vacation and were mugged and need money to pay their hotel bills and such. Has anyone else gotten this? I don't know how she would have gotten my address.

I don't know you except from this board, and I don't know her. Do you know her? This sounds like a scam to me as well, and somehow, someone got your email addy and is just trying to make money. I would send the email or give the sender's addy to who ever your email carrier is, like hotmail, yahoo, or whoever and get them to check it out. i had to do that several years ago. BUT whatever you do, DON'T answer it.

jahaper 06-03-2011 03:44 AM

Sounds like a scam to me.

ptquilts 06-03-2011 03:44 AM

This happened to a friend of mine, her email was hacked. One of the recipients of the email was an elderly cousin, she had a hard time convincing this lady that it was not real, she hadn't been mugged, her husband was fine, etc. A few days later the cousin calls back, Are you sure you are both alright??

smagruder 06-03-2011 04:10 AM

SCAM SCAM SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Krystyna 06-03-2011 04:12 AM

I've gotten these from time to time. They are phoney and the result of someone hacking into an email account. The first time I got one, it was supposed to be from a friend of mine who is a famous theologian and adviser to the Pope. The grammar and syntax was so awful, I just knew it had to be fake. It was.

CarrieAnne 06-03-2011 04:20 AM

scam!

stitchofclass2 06-03-2011 05:43 AM

Harriet is on this Board.

If Harriet is on the Board, she needs to know that someone is using her name in this way. Contact her by PM and send a copy of the e-mail to your Server. They also need to know. Good luck!

OmaForFour 06-03-2011 05:47 AM

Please go to search and find H. Carpanini and let her know about this. She may have been hacked into and doesn't know it. That way she can check it out on her end.
Meanwhile DON'T do anything except delete that email!

I just got a strange email to my regular address; from Harriet Carpanini. Saying they were on vacation and were mugged and need money to pay their hotel bills and such. Has anyone else gotten this? I don't know how she would have gotten my address.