Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   strange email (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/strange-email-t127449.html)

Minding My Ps and Qs 06-03-2011 05:48 AM

It is a SCAM - don't send a penny. Ignore the e-mail completely, but don't blame the person whose name is on the e-mail - someone stole info from her too!

clynns 06-03-2011 06:20 AM

Be so careful what info you give out. I fell for an email scam about 7 years ago. I ended up having to cancel my checking account, ATM cards, all credit cards. Do you know how hard it is to get money out of your account with ID that has a hold on it? My money was direct diposited from work and no way to get to it. I could use bill pay to pay my bills, but no money for groceries, gas, etc. It took 3 weeks to get new ATM card, 2 weeks to get new checks, (no one likes to accept starter checks), all my credit cards took 3-4 weeks. I also put my name on the list at the 3 major credit bureaus. They had to personally call me if someone tried to open an account in my name. I must say that Sears is the most through.

Beware of scammers. Call and talk to the people wanting information personally. Never click on links to something. YOU type in the address bar the web address that you need to go to. It takes so long to repair the damage done in such a short while.

Arleners 06-03-2011 06:37 AM

In the past 6 months, I have had one friend mugged in London, and another stranded in Barcelona. Both were safe and sound at home.

grannypat7925 06-03-2011 06:47 AM

This is a popular scam going on. Also done by telephone claiming to be a relative in a dire situation and needing money. Never fall for these attempts to relieve you of your money!

suzette1954 06-03-2011 06:47 AM

scam

Lynneander 06-03-2011 06:50 AM

It is a SCAM. The sender will use a somewhat familiar name in order to get your attention. Delete the e-mail asap.

noahscats7 06-03-2011 07:11 AM

The owner of a local quilt shop got a similar email but hers was from a different person and she knew this person was actually on vacation. The hotel bill was $2400.00. Not a place I'd want to stay...LOL.

Snorky Lvs2Quilt 06-03-2011 07:21 AM

it is definitely a SCAM!!! I have gotten them before too. Mine supposedly came from my financial advisor. Now there is someone who would have access to money if in trouble. I am only one of her many, many clients. Why would I be singled out to help her with money problems while she was on vacation. One call to her office verified it was a hoax.

Sew and Sew 2 06-03-2011 07:22 AM

I not only got a strange email for the same purpose. I also got phone calls from a company that was using a cell phone to solicit money for a supposedly "investment" company. Looked up the number, from my caller ID, using the whitepages.com reverse look up feature. I reported them to the fraud unit of the FBI. Was told these vultures have already been reported and they will be prosecuted when caught. Been moving from state to state with their scam.

svenskaflicka1 06-03-2011 07:39 AM

big time scam. like has been said, here, it can carry a trojan horse virus, and it is also used to get money from unsuspecting folks. it has been used with family names included, as well--always check with your family members to see if they did send the e-mail before you respond. if you can't reach them, don't assume that they are in trouble--check with other family members, or the local police.

in fact, with the advent of things like the "heritage" and "family tree" sites, it has become a lot easier to find out details of unsuspecting people, and scams are becoming much more intricate. be careful. be suspicious!

one of the things i teach my students (in anesthesia) also applies to every day life: "cultivate your paranoia. it will be your best friend. if something makes you suspicious or uncomfortable, it does so for a reason. follow it up. check it out. take it through. never ignore it."