Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Strange Garage Sales (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/strange-garage-sales-t160883.html)

clem55 10-16-2011 02:54 PM

neighborhood yard sales are very popular around here. Our subdivision has one every June, and the cars that drive around looking and buying is amazing. I've never had a sale, just don't have the energy to get things ready and haul it outside, and then to sit and wait. I just box up what I have and take it to GoodWill.

lalaland 10-16-2011 03:31 PM

I went to a neighborhood sale yesterday too but there were so few people in the neighborhood participating, and they were so spread out, I finally just gave up.

jaciqltznok 10-16-2011 03:44 PM

we have those here..you spend more $$ on gas driving around looking for a GOOD sale..that it is just not worth it any more...

Stitchnripper 10-16-2011 04:18 PM

I went to a neighborhood garage sale like that yesterday! I guess people wanted to be part of it, but, put out the oddest things, like old margarine tubs. I did see a vintage sewing machine in a cabinet but the machine was rusted and was missing the shuttle/bobbin case. I couldn't get the needle to go up and down and they wanted $70 for it.

Jingle 10-16-2011 05:36 PM

I go to a store and buy whatever fabrics I want. Anything I have that is not used or wanted get taken to Goodwill. Yard sales are not my thing.

3incollege 10-16-2011 05:41 PM

I have never had a garage sale. My stuff goes to Salvation Army or St. Vincent DePaul.

Nanamoms 10-16-2011 06:22 PM

Another great deal I did get was a "new" hand held Homedics battery operated massager...has 4 nodules and lighted. My big one has been broken for a while so this one is great...a big whopping $1.00 for it! :)

My neighbor/friend wants to have one together but I'm not sure I have the energy to get ready for it. But I guarantee that mine would be more than one or 2 tables!

HummerGardenCrafts 10-16-2011 06:27 PM

I love yard and garage sales. I saw plenty. But didn't get to stop at any. I did hit some thrift stores while in TN this week. Let me tell you, I thought they were suppose to cheap. I don't think so! Stuff was high in those thrift stores. Even the Good Will was high!

damaquilts 10-17-2011 04:36 AM

I hit one garage sale this weekend because it was on my normal walk with Andy. I ended up with an XL Memory Stor for $5 and a thread rack with the large spindles for $1 . I stopped at a few more and didn't buy anything they were the ones like your talking about. But at one I did find someone who builds furniture. Put his number away for later. And at the first one I found out her husband is a dentist and gets these buckets with dental stuff in. I am going back sometime and getting some for dying fabric. Also hit a estate sale and missed out on a bunch of free sewing stuff but did come home with a hand full of free picture frames and two botanical pictures in frames for $10

kacklebird 10-17-2011 05:26 AM

I LOVE yard sales. I have bought great things and got some steals of a deal on many things.