Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Strange Garage Sales (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/strange-garage-sales-t160883.html)

AprilG 10-17-2011 05:46 AM

The weather here has finally co-operated. The Garage Sales are in full swing! Went out to a neighborhood sale Friday. I can always find small stuffed toys for my dogs of course. I did find two "La Newborn" dolls for me to reborn (re-paint to make look real) and a lovely framed picture of some antique dolls (I collect dolls). Oh, yeah, a pair of snowman Salt & Pepper shakers (I also collect S&P shakers). Quite a haul for me. And quite a haul for my husband to bring in the house!

Caswews 10-17-2011 06:37 AM

When we lived in Denver, I would go to the upscale yard sales in Castle Rock and the more affluent areas of town with my youngest daughter. We would find jeans for the gd's in great shape some with the tags on for pennies. Once she needed a lamp and we found 4 really nice ones that had hardly been used for 10.00. One time we found in a bin of jeans material, dear daughter bought it and made a couple of quilts out of it( the cost was 2.00 for about 20 yards of material, lucky her for sure !!

Glenda m 10-17-2011 06:57 AM

The DH and I mostly do what we call 'drive by' sales. We drive by..I look if nothing catches my eye or its clothes and baby things we just keep going, hence..drive by. LOL

Slow2Sew 10-17-2011 07:33 AM

I went to a sale Friday afternoon that advertised "Tons of fabric." I got there a little after 2:00 and they were already closed for the day. Just figured that was because I reeeeally didn't need any more fabric anyway.

anniesews 10-17-2011 07:41 AM

Not much fun there.

Twisted Quilter 10-17-2011 07:47 AM

Last garage sale I went to only had a couple tables of kids clothing. On my way out of the garage I saw storage bins w/lids and asked the priced. She said they're dusty, so 25 cents each! Yep, I bought all 4.

CAS49OR 10-17-2011 10:37 AM

This thread reminds me of a pet peeve. People who leave their garage sale signs posted way after the sale is over! So I waste gas and time looking for the sale, and it was two weeks ago. I think that should be considered littering. I also thing it brings extra noise, traffic, etc to their neighborhood.

I have figured out the yard sale lingo: "HUGE sale" means it is going to be a lot of baby clothes and toys (not interested). "Estate Sale" means there might be some good things there but usually it's old stinky stuff the kids don't know what to do with, and you've seen this stuff a zillion times before. The best sales are "Moving Sale". That is where you get nice items at a good price because they are moving, and don't want to pay to haul them, and don't know what else to do with them.

CAS49OR 10-17-2011 10:39 AM

I also wonder why the sales are frequently on Friday/Saturday. Most people are working Friday, and by the time you get there Saturday the good stuff is gone!

bearisgray 10-17-2011 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR
This thread reminds me of a pet peeve. People who leave their garage sale signs posted way after the sale is over! So I waste gas and time looking for the sale, and it was two weeks ago. I think that should be considered littering. I also thing it brings extra noise, traffic, etc to their neighborhood.

I have figured out the yard sale lingo: "HUGE sale" means it is going to be a lot of baby clothes and toys (not interested). "Estate Sale" means there might be some good things there but usually it's old stinky stuff the kids don't know what to do with, and you've seen this stuff a zillion times before. The best sales are "Moving Sale". That is where you get nice items at a good price because they are moving, and don't want to pay to haul them, and don't know what else to do with them.

Signs that are obsolete is one of my pet peeves, too! I think that should be a finable offense - it's a safety hazard.

Signs that are too small to read from the car are also a safety hazard!

CAS49OR 10-17-2011 11:16 AM

Yes, too true! Stop to see what the tiny letters say and cause a traffic hazzard!

As to the previous, why invite people to drive around your neighborhood if nothing is going on? Arrrggghh!

Signs that are obsolete is one of my pet peeves, too! I think that should be a finable offense - it's a safety hazard.

Signs that are too small to read from the car are also a safety hazard![/quote]