Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   tomatoes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/tomatoes-t228953.html)

DebraK 08-29-2013 03:59 AM

After growing heirlooms, I've been spoiled. Best tasting tomato, to me. Not everyone likes their funky appearance ;-)

sweetpea 08-29-2013 05:49 AM

I have planted all the ones talk about and have not had any that we do not like. but keep in mind what your weather is like and that will help with planing of the tomato that will work best in you area. go to some farmer market in your area, buy and ask what kinds them you should have a go idea what will grow and what you like. Happy gardening there is nothing home grow tomatos.

judith ann 08-29-2013 06:52 AM

Big beef are the best.

nivosum 08-29-2013 07:37 AM

I prefer Better Boy over Big Boy. I planted heirloom tomatoes along side the Better Boy this year. While the heirloom was good, the Better Boy tasted better. I bought the heirloom at Wal-Mart. I don't remember if it gave the variety other than it being an heirloom. I will pay more attention next year. The cherry tomatoes did very well in a container a few years ago. They never made it into a salad because I ate them directly off the tomato plant as I pass by it.

DogHouseMom 08-29-2013 09:04 AM

My favorite is Black Krim ... it has a slightly salty taste to it. It's a darker tomato.

We are looking for a good tomato that is resistant to late season blight.

Cheshirecatquilter 08-29-2013 07:34 PM

Try a variety of types to see what you like. Brandywines are an heirloom and look ugly but taste wonderful beyond words. Grape tomatoes are great for snacks/salads or freezing raw and whole for tossing into chicken soup in the winter. Some of the great big varieties can be frustrating for canning because they have a large network of stiff white tissue inside, but who cares when you have a giant slab of tomato on a tomato and cucumber sandwich. Romas make a nice, thick tomato sauce, and one of the seed companies this year advertised seeds to grow Romas which were about 4 inches long, huge. I'm trying them next year. If you want to can them, remember that many newer varieties are lower acid and must be pressure canned to be safe.

chips88 08-30-2013 03:55 AM

i also google companion plants for tomatoes. garlic, basil, borage is to prevent late blite, mint, marigolds, lemon balm , cucumbers ,peas ,sage. very interesting. thank you all for your info on what to plant..:thumbup:

mjhaess 08-30-2013 04:27 AM

My daughter and I plant Rutgers and Ace...We just canned 71 quarts this week while I am in NY for my grandson wedding Saturday.

kydeb 08-30-2013 04:44 AM

Park's Whopper is my favorite! They are a good size and produce a lot. This year, I canned 84 quarts and 87 pints plus froze about 20 more quarts and I made soup and sandwiches all along the season. I've planted others but these have always won out. Happy gardening!! There is NOTHING like a fresh tomato from your garden!!!

Oh, and I should add - check with your local high schools. The ones in my county have great horticulture programs and sell trays of veggies they've planted. The prices and quality of the plants are fantastic AND you're supporting them!

Clarice29 08-30-2013 09:42 AM

Early Girls are a med. sized tomato and very good.