Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Unappreciated (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/unappreciated-t195176.html)

Phannie1 07-20-2012 04:47 AM

You never know. I just made a quilt for my husband's cousin, an older single man. I want him to use it so I made sure the colors where darker so dirt and wear would not show up to bad if used well. He loved it! No one had ever taken the time to make him anything. He is always making something and shares with all. We have a mobile he made with metal. I am so glad I took the time and gave him a quilt. (Right now we are vacationing with the family and he is enjoying his quilt, nightly!)

nygal 07-20-2012 04:53 AM

I have a friend who is...not gifted in the crafty area shall we say. She always compliments me on things I make and buy and how I decorate. She now lives across the country from me and I have helped her find things for her home online and she buys them. I kid her and say her house would be empty if it weren't for me! Well a few years ago I made her a lovely quilted wall hanging. It was her colors and not huge. She lived in two homes since then and she still has not hung it up anywhere.

Recently I showed her a quilt I made and she said how much she'd love to have one. I reminded her that I gave her a wall hanging and what room is it hung up in now? She said she couldn't find the right spot but that she "will always treasure it". I said well good because that is your quilt. I'm sorry but I am not making her a quilt if she won't even take out and SEE the one I did give her.

dd 07-20-2012 05:01 AM

Maybe the woman was just being polite and didn't want the more recent client to know that you had given her a gift for her birthday, that way the newer client wouldn't be expecting a set of pillowcases also.

EvelynJ 07-20-2012 06:38 AM

Wow.....you are right. Those who do not sew or do any crafting have no idea the "true" value/pricelessness of a home made gift. Not on you; it's all on her. I am sure the next individual will truly see the love, kindness, and heart you created just for them. Remember their are others out the who can and will appreciate such a wonderful gift YOU

Jingle 07-20-2012 11:12 AM

I think most of it is jealousy, because not all women want/can make quilts, etc. I find men love quilts and will use them. Once I give a quilt away I forget it as mine. Have to just let it go.

Latrinka 07-20-2012 01:49 PM

Yea, you have to be choosy who you gift homemade stuff to! I've learned my lesson too!

jitkaau 07-21-2012 03:09 AM

Not quilt related, but amusing anyway: Years ago, as a Christmas present, I gave a friend a tool which would assist them with their home renovations that they were doing at the time.(An extremely 'thoughtful' gift I thought).A while later, they were complaining how expensive a new tool that they had bought was....of course, their surprise when I pointed out that they already had one, from me.lol Perhaps people don't realise the 'worth' of something until there is a need for it?

jitkaau 07-21-2012 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Phannie1 (Post 5379433)
You never know. I just made a quilt for my husband's cousin, an older single man. I want him to use it so I made sure the colors where darker so dirt and wear would not show up to bad if used well. He loved it! No one had ever taken the time to make him anything. He is always making something and shares with all. We have a mobile he made with metal. I am so glad I took the time and gave him a quilt. (Right now we are vacationing with the family and he is enjoying his quilt, nightly!)

I was surprised by my nephew's reaction: I made him a quilt when he was around 9. He watched me make it and his mother, my sister, said that he always remade the bed if she didn't put it on top. It has lasted long enough that he is 41 years of age and still using it.Perhaps I ought to contemplate a 'new' one?

nancyw 07-21-2012 03:43 AM

Last year I gave my GD a quilt made with horse fabric. She's going to a camp tomoorow and when I talked on the phone with her the other day she said she was taking a quilt with her and did I know which one? I guessed one I had made several years ago but she said no, she was taking the horse quilt.

catmcclure 07-21-2012 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Phannie1 (Post 5379433)

When my son (now 32) was about 3, his sister made him a quilt - just big squares sewn together, very little quilting and plain backing. He's still got it, it has disintegrated almost totally - a lot of it looks like the knees on kid's jeans nowadays with all the slashing.