Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   An unruly 2 year old (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/unruly-2-year-old-t79906.html)

omak 12-06-2010 10:13 PM

I have been thinking some more (again <g>) ...
people think that little kids don't think ... have you ever sat and thought just when a kid can form a cogent thought and act upon it?
I was six months old when my parents took me to the ranch in Izee ... when we went back when I was in the eighth grade, a told them all sorts of things that happened when I was there.
I remembered being carried by my father up on the hills and looking down over the ranch house. I remembered the room they had put me to bed in ...
I had this memory of my mother saying to me: Eat that cereal or I will dump it on your head.
She turned back to the sink to do dishes, and I looked at her for a second and thought: "You will not!"
I must have said something because the next thing I knew, I was looking at the world through Rice Krispies and milk!
Almost forty years later, I finally asked my mom about the incident (her face went white!) she asked if I really remembered it.
"Yes, but I never figured out how you got me ready for school after all that mess ...."
She said: getting you ready for school was no problem because you didn't go to school.
I said: Oh! It was on a weekend, then?
Again, she asked me: Do you REALLY remember that happening?
I said: Yes! You were at the sink over there, and I was sitting right here, facing this way .....
and, that is when she told me - - "I didn't get you ready for school because you were only eighteen months old, and I don't believe you can remember that@"
well, I can, and I did! especially that part where I reasoned out that she wouldn't DARE dump that cereal on my head!
If an 18 month old can form a thought that she can remember for decades ... isn't it time we start realizing that babies aren't babies long before we are willing to let them grow up? and, start holding them somewhat accountable for their actions ... or at least understand that they are thinking, and maybe we ought to help them think a bit more clearly. <wave>

cattailsquilts 12-06-2010 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
Yes, Grandma's house, Grandma's rules. I'll make sure that's followed with the youngest one too.

Reminds me of a man-friend (in his late 50's) telling me of when his daughter was little and they were visiting his grandmother. His daughter was messing around and his grandmother told her to stop. She didn't and broke one of her nick-nacks.

In his words, "It did my heart good to see my daughter get a good, old-fashioned, Oklahoma spanking."

I think Daddy should have given the spanking - not Grandma!

It was Grandma's house, and Grandma's knick-knack, so Grandma was well within her rights to deliver the spanking! I know my Grandma wasn't above dealing out spankings to my brother or I when we deserved it.

bearisgray 12-07-2010 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by cattailsquilts

Originally Posted by bearisgray

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
Yes, Grandma's house, Grandma's rules. I'll make sure that's followed with the youngest one too.

Reminds me of a man-friend (in his late 50's) telling me of when his daughter was little and they were visiting his grandmother. His daughter was messing around and his grandmother told her to stop. She didn't and broke one of her nick-nacks.

In his words, "It did my heart good to see my daughter get a good, old-fashioned, Oklahoma spanking."

I think Daddy should have given the spanking - not Grandma!

It was Grandma's house, and Grandma's knick-knack, so Grandma was well within her rights to deliver the spanking! I know my Grandma wasn't above dealing out spankings to my brother or I when we deserved it.

I agree that Grandma was well within her rights to administer the spanking. I had gotten the impression that Daddy was just standing around watching the whole thing.

I think reaction should follow action as closely as possible when a child is acting up.