Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Useless Kitchen Items (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/useless-kitchen-items-t265062.html)

BJTWOODLES 05-11-2015 09:14 AM

About once a year I try to clean out my cupboards and my kitchen drawers. I get rid of a lot of things {useless, had to have stuff} and when I try to put the keep stuff back it seems like I have less room than before. Don't know how that happens!

CookyIN 05-11-2015 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 7192176)
I picked up one of these somewhere in my flea market days and could not figure out what it was. Later I found it is a "flour wand", for sprinkling flour over your work surface when rolling out dough or such. I guess for people with no fingers?

I have one of these and use it often! Learned about it watching Father Dom on PBS (Breaking Bread with Father Dom). It provides a more consistent, less heavy dusting of flour than I get using my hands (though I still do that sometimes). I won't say I can't live without it, but I wouldn't get rid of it either.

CookyIN 05-11-2015 09:36 AM

I moved a few years ago and actually got rid of lots of gadgets and duplicate what-nots. Haven't missed any of it!

seasaw2mch 05-11-2015 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
NO!!!! don't throw it out!!!!
yep it's useless for it's intended use but I found a great way to use mine.
I flattened the out edges so it was completely flattened and covered it with contact paper and it's a great magnetic board.
Then I bought some small metal round containers and put some button type magnets inside, added my spices into the containers and now I have a very pretty place to store all my spices, which makes them easier to get to without having to dig around looking for them on a shelf.
here's a picture of it mounted under my cabinet

Originally Posted by Pudge (Post 7191966)
High on my list of dumb kitchen items is the sideless cookie sheet I recently puchased. I can't easily grab the pan when I take it out of the oven. Why the heck did I buy it?

What kitchen item have you purchased that turned out to be of no help?

LoriEl 05-11-2015 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch (Post 7192516)
NO!!!! don't throw it out!!!!
yep it's useless for it's intended use but I found a great way to use mine.
I flattened the out edges so it was completely flattened and covered it with contact paper and it's a great magnetic board.
Then I bought some small metal round containers and put some button type magnets inside, added my spices into the containers and now I have a very pretty place to store all my spices, which makes them easier to get to without having to dig around looking for them on a shelf.
here's a picture of it mounted under my cabinet

What a great idea!

tlpa 05-11-2015 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 7192176)
I picked up one of these somewhere in my flea market days and could not figure out what it was. Later I found it is a "flour wand", for sprinkling flour over your work surface when rolling out dough or such. I guess for people with no fingers?

Hahaha...so funny!

Doggramma 05-11-2015 10:27 AM

Sometimes I'll pull something out of the drawer and I can't remember what you're supposed to do with it

institches33 05-11-2015 11:01 AM

Ice cream keeper. Ice cream goes too fast in this house!

luv-e 05-11-2015 11:23 AM

OMG!!! going through the same thing right now.DH passed last yr and I'm getting my place ready to sale.
I can't believe all the "stuff" I have after 32 yrs. PLUS from my MIL too. Where I want to buy and move,well I have to sell everything!!! The place comes furnished...
I too have one of the flour thingie.... I huge amount of just Holiday items....
Maybe at my sale, I'll ask if they can tell me what it does, they can have it!!!! lol lol lol

teddy300 05-11-2015 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 7192434)
Oh yeah! Forgot that one DH just thought we really needed it til he found out how many oranges it took to get 4 ounces of juice. Not sure what happened to it. May have accidentally gone to the curb. I have a set of good china from high school never used. Not throwing it out though!!

I have my "good China" from 1970. Decided that we were good enough for it since I no longer entertain, so it has become by every day chine. At least I now get some enjoyment from it.