Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Uses for bounce dryer sheets (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/uses-bounce-dryer-sheets-t105326.html)

renee765 03-09-2011 07:01 AM

Wow! This really works! We have an ant problem in our breakroom at work. They are the really tiny red ants that are hard to notice unless they are moving. Leave out one microscopic speck of something edible, however, and the ant trails begin. It's gotten so bad that I have to eat with my lunch sitting on my lap!

I've tried all kinds of ant bait, sprays, etc. and the ants just laughed at it. After reading this thread yesterday, I bought some Bounce sheets and put a few in the break room where I thought the ants might be appearing from. By lunch time, there were no ants to be seen. I actually could put my lunch on the counter and no ants appeared to carry it off!

Thank you!

cjomomma 03-09-2011 07:19 AM

That's great. Maybe it only works on a certain breed of ants.

mountain deb 03-09-2011 08:25 AM

Also save all your used dryer sheets for kids craft projects.
Dye them and/or glue them to paper for collages or iron them (some varieties) to make your iron glide easier. Just a few more ideas.

Calico Grammy 03-09-2011 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by renee765
Wow! This really works! We have an ant problem in our breakroom at work. They are the really tiny red ants that are hard to notice unless they are moving. Leave out one microscopic speck of something edible, however, and the ant trails begin. It's gotten so bad that I have to eat with my lunch sitting on my lap!

I've tried all kinds of ant bait, sprays, etc. and the ants just laughed at it. After reading this thread yesterday, I bought some Bounce sheets and put a few in the break room where I thought the ants might be appearing from. By lunch time, there were no ants to be seen. I actually could put my lunch on the counter and no ants appeared to carry it off!

Thank you!

The critters you are dealing with could be "clover mites". Tiny little red buggers! Glad to know the dryer sheets work on them, too!!!!

kit'smamma 03-09-2011 06:14 PM

I've been saving used dryer sheets to use in applique. Just place one on the right side of the fabric with the shape of the applique piece drawn on it. Stitch around the outline, cut a slit in the dryer sheet and pull the fabric through the slit, flatten the fabric at the stitching line, press and then hand or machine applique. This is theoretical as I haven't tried it but I have lots of used sheets and can't wait to give it a try.

burnsk 03-09-2011 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchit123
I just hate to admit defeat but those damn ants have set up a tent city on top of the dryer sheet :hunf: and I am positive that they were laughing at me.My aunt says to use Terra but I really don"t like using chemicals around my critters some one else suggested fresh Bay Leafs I"ll try anything ,my brother can"t understand,spiders don"t bother me but ants do?But I say they may have won the skirmish but I plan to win the war!!!

My mom used to use Boric Acid. It works. I had trouble finding it for a long time. Would you believe I found it in the dollar store. It comes in a bottle with a pointy spout. I shoot it around all the baseboards, especially the beginning of spring when those little buggers thaw and try to find a way into the house.

Lee Monahan 03-09-2011 09:56 PM

let us know how it works out!

teek4 03-11-2011 09:05 AM

You have to be careful with dryer sheets like bounce, they can leave an oily stain on cloth. Teek4

Stitchit123 03-11-2011 09:56 AM

I tried the baby powder but I"m not sure if its working yet When ever it snows I don"t see the ants and we got 4 more inches last nite.Usually I would have been out fishing by the !st w/end of March Its taking forever for spring to get to Ohio My legs are getting tired of doing the NoMoreSnow dance

rhona hodgson 03-14-2011 07:40 AM

R u talking about the sheet things u put in the clothes drier??? Is Bounce an american make or can u use any dryer sheet??? :? :?