Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Vicks Vapor Rub - not a joke. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/vicks-vapor-rub-not-joke-t84538.html)

auntmag 12-22-2010 03:25 PM

I am a nurse and needless to say I was skeptical when a friend suggested I try this for my very bad cough. I bought some at WM and tried it and it works. Slept thru the night without a coughing spell. Yes, after a few minutes I could smell it on my breath. By the way makes your feet nice and soft as well.

CoventryUK 12-23-2010 01:20 AM

Yep! It WOKS!!!!! I have a persistent cough, tried it last night and slept without coughing!!! First time for weeks!! Now all I need now is something to stop me having to go to the loo several times during the night and I'll sleep like a baby!! Any tips out there??!!!!

wanna be quilter 12-23-2010 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
Yep! It WOKS!!!!! I have a persistent cough, tried it last night and slept without coughing!!! First time for weeks!! Now all I need now is something to stop me having to go to the loo several times during the night and I'll sleep like a baby!! Any tips out there??!!!!

Cut down on fluids well before bedtime, and drink only decaff tea and coffee. Visit the loo just before getting in bed
It works for me!! :lol:

zennia 12-23-2010 04:26 AM

I tried it last night and for the first time in a long time I slept like a baby the whole night long. I am going to play pay it forward with this. If I tell someone about this they will think I am crazy so I am going to buy a jar of Vicks and a pair of socks and pass it on with a note telling them about it and asking them to do the same.
Thanks for a good nights sleep
zennia

doglover 12-23-2010 04:52 AM

I was up all night coughing. I am exhausted so I think I will try this and go back to bed.
Thanks. This board is great.

damaquilts 12-23-2010 05:19 AM

I never heard of this you bet I am going to try it. No more little kids but I have my first cold this week in so long I can't even remember when the last time was. maybe 20 years. I think its because I moved.And the house here has central heat which I am not use to.

CarrieAnne 12-23-2010 05:27 AM

Thanks for the tip!

ProudGranny5 12-23-2010 05:47 AM

I have done this for years... from time when my kids were babies & now my grandchildren. Use Watkin's with camphor on myself & hubby. Works like a charm...thought everyone knew about 'ole' time remedies!

Annette Searcy 12-23-2010 05:50 AM

I learned this from my grandmother many, many years ago.

cbuchanan 12-23-2010 06:27 AM

Every time I smell Vicks, I think about my Mom. I was prone to chest congestion as a child and she would rub my chest with Vicks and heat a towel in the oven and then put it on top of my chest under the flannel PJ's. It worked great and, yes, so soothing. Wonder why I haven't been doing that for myself for years. Try it. It's great.