Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What book are you reading now? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-book-you-reading-now-t211957.html)

Sherryquilts 01-27-2013 06:21 PM

Shelters of Stone, the 5th in the Earth's Children series by Jean Auel on my Nook. Each of them are very long, in the range of 700-850 pages, but I am enjoying each one!

Wildernessties 01-28-2013 06:19 AM

I was not familiar with the Elm Creek Series but they look very good so I will check them out. Is it best to read them in order or are the characters different so that it doesn't matter?

I just finished reading Guests of the Emperorer by Janice Young-Brooks and it was excellent. It is an older book (maybe 90's) and not one I might have chosen but a friend loaned it to me and I really liked it. I believe it is based on some actual women who were prisoners during WWII.

This is a great thread and I love reading the recommendations. Thank you!

Brett Quilts 01-28-2013 10:41 AM

Finally, someone who will admit reading these! LOL!

Originally Posted by nprisner (Post 5816098)
I'm almost finished with "Fifty Shades Darker". Read the first in the series, "Fifty Shades of Grey" and will get the 3rd when I'm able.

Wildernessties 01-28-2013 01:00 PM

Has anyone found any good free books on Amazon?? Are there any other places to get decent free books?

AUQuilter 01-28-2013 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Wildernessties (Post 5820836)
Has anyone found any good free books on Amazon?? Are there any other places to get decent free books?

Daughter of Joy- Kathleen Morgan; Blood Ties- JD Nixon; A Cold Day for Murder-Dana Stabenow

The only of these I have read is Daughter of Joy- very fast and good read. The great thing is that there are freebies on Amazon but sometimes they come and go very quickly. Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville.com often times posts a freebie on her daily blog email to subscribers- sometimes they are really free or they may be from the Amazon Prime lending library at a reduced price or you get one free per month from the lending library.

BDor 01-28-2013 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by wordpaintervs (Post 5815011)
I like John Grisham and Jeanette Oak also, but have gotten involved with collecting and reading the Robyn Carr books called the Virgin River series. (At least 13 of them) that focus on a area of California near Fortuna . It is a small forrested area with a lake and cabins, and has a combo of romance and adventure. I am enjoying getting to meet all the characters and the interaction over the years that come and go. The area was named Virgin River and is a real small community that grows some when tourist come and rent the cabins to fish and/or hunt. I've really enjoyed them. Collecting them from Amazon.com, sometimes for a penny, so it becomes a $4 book and worth every penny.
I do want to someday obtain Killing Lincoln and seeing what that is about. Have lots of quilting and knitting books as well.

I love Robyn Carr books especially the Virgin River Series. I just read the Heroes of Quantico and Guardians of
Justice Series by Irene Hannon, romantic suspense novels.

lfstamper 01-28-2013 05:39 PM

I just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn which I really enjoyed. Not sure what is next!

ging10ging 01-28-2013 05:44 PM

I'm reading The House of Thunder by Dean Koontz I've had it for a while and just getting around to it. I have tons of books here and DH bought me a Kindle so now I have more books than time. I like the sound of Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker. I also like John Grisham. Thanks for the book info. Sue

thimblebug6000 01-28-2013 05:52 PM

I'm reading a book about a lady who hiked the Pacific Crest Trail.... at the moment... when I'm done... I'll post the info...sorry it's not at hand at the moment. I LOVE to read real life stories of other people's travels or travails.... rather than the fiction novels.... if you have more suggestions other than War stories, would love to hear of them...... I did post awhile ago and got some wonderfully inspiring suggestions... I'm just a slow reader,,,,,,,some of my favourite so far have been Peter Jenkins.... but I'm sure as I read .... I will find many more inspiring individuals!

bobbie1 01-28-2013 08:27 PM

These are the ones I use for free kindle downloads. Haven't bought a book yet. Always so many to choose from.

Kindlebuffet.com inspiredreads.com bookbub.com , pixelofink.com....

Originally Posted by Wildernessties (Post 5820836)