Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What book are you reading now? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-book-you-reading-now-t211957.html)

DOTTYMO 01-02-2015 12:47 AM

Was reading DARK FIRE by C,J, SANSOM. I have lost it.it is book 2 in the Shardlake series. I've no idea where it is . Thought I had lost it at restaurant but no luck.
I have ordered from Amazon book 3 and 4 and must stay in until they arrive today. The series is about a humpbacked lawyer during the reign of Henry Vlll . They are well written and keep me spell bound while I go through my not sewing time.

1rottendog 01-02-2015 03:21 AM

I just finished "All the Light you Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr. Excellent. WWII resistance in France, a blind girl, a young German boy who becomes a Nazi, the Nazis' search for treasure. All of the above. Book was a finalist for National Book Award. I've shared it with my quilting group, all who read it loved. it.

Geri B 01-02-2015 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm (Post 5812693)
I just started Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker, by Jennifer C, of Elm Creek fame. It is a stand alone historical novel, and it is excellent. More history than sewing but a good story about courageous women. I also recommend The Kashmir Shawl. I got it on my Nook for $1.99. Lovely story of the history of a special textile, back to the goats!!

I read the Lincoln dressmaker, but not her "version"... Read the one written by the dressmaker herself..had to order it from library....very interesting read......

Geri B 01-02-2015 07:42 AM

Have read unbroken....now want to see movie...

julie 01-02-2015 10:37 AM

reading the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child. I'm on book 10.

toverly 01-02-2015 12:23 PM

I just finished Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. It's part of the Outlander series, the one put on Starz last year. I was delighted to find out that the series cliffhanger was only halfway thru book one. Now on to Book 3!

Jan in VA 01-02-2015 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119 (Post 7029745)
I love the Outlander series. I have read then all and have them all. I don't buy books very often but I did with this series. In early December, my DD and I got to meet Diana Gabaldon and Graham McTavish who plays Dougal McKenzie in the STARZ TV series of the Outlander. What a rush that was!

My sweet DD sent the 3 books from which this STARZ TV series was made and I will be beginning them this weekend. She gets the series and is a great fan, but it isn't on my DirectV plan. :(

Jan in VA

psychonurse 01-02-2015 03:53 PM

Just started "Life intercepted" Charles Martin. I have read all his books, but "when Crickets Cry" is my favorite.

Stitchnripper 01-02-2015 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7030729)
I read the Lincoln dressmaker, but not her "version"... Read the one written by the dressmaker herself..had to order it from library....very interesting read......

As much as I love Jennifer C's quilting stories, I didn't enjoy Mrs Lincoln's dressmaker and I too found the one written by the real Mrs Kleckly which was much better.

Stitchnripper 01-03-2015 07:51 AM

Just remembered that I recently read "Seams Unlikely" which is Nancy Zieman's memoir. Very good read. I have even more respect for her after reading it. Can't remember if I already posted about this? Anyway, those senior moments keep creeping in!!