Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What does your dIL or SIL, daugther or son in love call you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-does-your-dil-sil-daugther-son-love-call-you-t87507.html)

Parrothead 01-05-2011 09:17 AM

One son in law calls me Mom. One Mama Nell - daughter's name is Dynell. One by first name, I have not been around her much as we are on the road. One son in law is just 2 years younger than I am so he calls me Sue - neither of us thought Mom would be right. I was 16 when Denni (his wife) was born and he is 14 years older than she.

catrancher 01-05-2011 09:20 AM

Mine calls me by my first name. That's fine, but I would be honored if she would call me anything "mom" related.

nycquilter 01-05-2011 10:00 AM

in my family, my parents called in-laws by first names. I have assumed that habit, mostly because I call my parents "mom" and "dad" (called, not call) and no one else fit that category. I nicknamed my FIL "Abesan" as his name is Abe and he loves Japanese culture and he loves it. Now, he uses that moniker a lot, even in his e-mail. My daughter, his step-grand calls him Abesan too. They have grown to be real grands--working both ways. I expect to be called by my first name--my house has always been Grand Central STation for DD and her friends who all call me Laurie--when I was young, we called other adults Mr. or Mrs. and if very close to my parents "Aunt" or "uncle" I never had the energy to make the kids do this. I was more concerned that they were healthy, safe and having fun!

Patchworkmarion 01-05-2011 12:05 PM

My DIL couldn't call me Mum,so when the grandchildren came along I told her to call me Nana Marion.

MadQuilter 01-05-2011 12:47 PM

I make sure I have eye contact with my MIL so she knows I am talking to her. I don't think I ever called her anything. She is not and never will be a "mom" to me and it is awkward to call her by her first name.

IBQUILTIN 01-05-2011 12:48 PM

Both my Sons in law call me "Mom", my daughter in law may call me something else, she is a strange girl, lol

quiltmom04 01-05-2011 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by quiltnerd
From the other side... I call my MIL by her first name. My SIL calls her "mom", but I can't bring myself to do it. I love Sue dearly and think that she is wonderful, but she isn't my mother!

Agree, I call my MIL by her first name and my husband called my mother by HER first name. The mothers-in-law both loved their children-in-law dearly, but I DO think if I'd have been FORCED to call her mom, I would not have like it!

alissa 01-05-2011 02:28 PM

My mom and dad split when I was 30 and both have remarried. I call both of my step parents by their first names. I don't fell rigth calling them mom or dad as I already have a dad and mom. My SIL calls me mom and my DIL calls me mom which is fine... My grandson calls me meme that is what I have taught him to call me and my DH is papa... I think it is what one fells comfortable with... I do not have a MIL she passed before I married my hubby, but call my FIL by his first name....

Nanjun 01-05-2011 03:21 PM

My son in laws and daughter in law call me Leta
My newest DIL calls me Miss Leta. Doesnt matter as long as they love me.

Sewingyankee 01-05-2011 03:24 PM

My DIL calls me her favorite MIL. We both laugh because she is my only DIL and I am her only MIL. She sure is a keeper.