Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What gifting a quilt means to me (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-gifting-quilt-means-me-t85833.html)

sewgull 12-28-2010 06:00 PM

Have you thought the person passing on this info about your MIL may be jealous. MIL got a quilt and She/he didn'ton.
There are people that love to create friction in famillies.
Just forget it and enjoy your MIL.

CompulsiveQuilter 12-28-2010 06:06 PM

I'm a writer, but I would express my feelings in writing - in much the same ways suggested above, but "attach" that note to a small gift like a coaster set or something and say "I only make handmade gifts for people who are special to me - LIKE YOU. If she doesn't "get it" the second time ..... well no more quilts for her! And probably a little less trust. Which is a shame.

np3 12-28-2010 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem

Originally Posted by mommamac
how about sending her a note - something like:

I heard that your new quilt has visited many people ~ I'm thrilled that you think so much of it. Only special people get quilts from me and I'm happy to say you are one!

I like this!!!!

Ditto!

Mattee 12-28-2010 06:11 PM

Actually, it was my husband, among others. It's really the only explanation for some of her bizarre behavior. She's quite obviously trying to get me to like her. She's really trying; way too hard.

Originally Posted by lots2do
I think I'd really look at the person who told you that and wonder about any hidden agenda that person might have (unless it's your husband). I never really understand why people pass that kind of info along. Is it meant to make you happier? More secure with her? I just don't get that.
But, I am glad that she loved your quilt. I'd take her actions over someone else's talk anytime.

Mattee 12-28-2010 06:12 PM

I like this a lot! Thanks for the idea.

I heard that your new quilt has visited many people ~ I'm thrilled that you think so much of it. Only special people get quilts from me and I'm happy to say you are one!

Quiltforme 12-28-2010 06:17 PM

Take her out to lunch and in a round about way let her know how much it meant to you that you were able to make her a quilt. That way she should get that you do like her and that she should feel special about being the only adult to receive a quilt from you. Jade

jaciqltznok 12-28-2010 06:19 PM

EXACTLY what I was thinking....give it the spin that you are overwhelmed she cared so much and that it only confirms how much she means to you!

smiles 12-28-2010 06:25 PM

Like mommamac's idea, give it a try & see where it takes you

Pat P 12-28-2010 06:30 PM

I wish I had a DIL I would spoil her rotten. My departed MIL was soooooo good to me. I miss her.

luckylindy333 12-28-2010 06:35 PM

I think some people as they get older experience their insecurities more than they did when they were younger. I know this happens to my DM.