Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What have you done about the threat Heartbleed ?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-have-you-done-about-threat-heartbleed-t245040.html)

Onebyone 04-13-2014 09:56 AM

My virus protection gives me an alert if a site may be infected with the heartbleed bug. As long as I don't have any financial info on them or use the same password for personal sites, no problem.

crafty pat 04-13-2014 10:04 AM

Nothing. I was told to wait until I was notified by someone I do business with that they had been hit and then change my password for them. I do no banking or bill paying on line or use my credit cards on line. We just do not trust putting our info. on line.

KalamaQuilts 04-13-2014 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6673594)
My virus protection gives me an alert if a site may be infected with the heartbleed bug. As long as I don't have any financial info on them or use the same password for personal sites, no problem.

where has that alert been for two years?

KyKaren1949 04-13-2014 11:11 AM

In these days and times of sophisticated digital theft, nothing is absolutely positively 100% secure. We mustn't kid ourselves. Pay Pal tells us they are secure, but all of our info was stolen from them two years ago and someone had a wonderful time shopping all over Europe and Asia to the tune of several thousand dollars on my credit info. Thank goodness, our bank notified us immediately and we cancelled the card, but the threat is ALWAYS there. When theft knowledge and devices are invented faster than virus protection can be written, we must never fool ourselves into thinking we are safe. We are not and never will be. This will be an ongoing problem with more and more credit card/debit card use and technology. It's just going to become more and more sophisticated.

Boston1954 04-13-2014 04:56 PM

I don't do Facebook or Twitter. Never do any banking or bill paying online. Guess I just don't trust much anymore.

duckydo 04-13-2014 06:04 PM

Just to be on the safe side I changed my yahoo, google and fb passwords. I think it is going to get to the place where it won't make any difference if we change our passwords, someone is going to figure out how to hack all accounts

Onebyone 04-13-2014 06:15 PM

The virus alert comes with Chrome Browser it is called Chromebleed1.1.1Displays a warning if the site you are browsing is affected by the Heartbleed bug

Texasjunebug 04-13-2014 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 6673618)
where has that alert been for two years?

A news program said for the last two years, NSA has been using that portal to collect private information from our computers. I reckon after two years, they finally decided to let us in on the "problem."

raksmum 04-14-2014 07:03 AM

http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/

You can go to here to enter websites that you use. It will tell you if it is or was affected.

Wonnie 04-14-2014 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 (Post 6673677)
In these days and times of sophisticated digital theft, nothing is absolutely positively 100% secure. We mustn't kid ourselves. Pay Pal tells us they are secure, but all of our info was stolen from them two years ago and someone had a wonderful time shopping all over Europe and Asia to the tune of several thousand dollars on my credit info. Thank goodness, our bank notified us immediately and we cancelled the card, but the threat is ALWAYS there. When theft knowledge and devices are invented faster than virus protection can be written, we must never fool ourselves into thinking we are safe. We are not and never will be. This will be an ongoing problem with more and more credit card/debit card use and technology. It's just going to become more and more sophisticated.

Come on now!!! If they can get into the White House, the Military, etc. why would anyone believe ANY site that claimed to be secure????? Wake up!