Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What have you done for someone lately? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-have-you-done-someone-lately-t86035.html)

needles3thread 12-30-2010 10:39 AM

Once, a lady at work thanked me for listening to her.
I felt so 'awed' by her saying that & vowed to listen
more often.

IndyQuilter 12-30-2010 12:58 PM

My husband and I bought breakfast for a young mother and her three small children in Denny's just before Christmas. No we didn't know her, but we were touched by her mannerisms and the fact that when their food arrived they all held hands and said a prayer before they ate. Not something you see much anymore. We just quietly asked her waitress to bring us her check and then we paid it when we left which was before she did.

IndyQuilter 12-30-2010 01:20 PM

I have just read through all the pages and am quite happy at the number of you ladies that return your carts to the cart corral. I also do this and am always aggravated by those that don't. A few weeks ago I was backing out of a space and didn't see the cart that was on the passenger side and put a 2 inch scratch on my door. The cart corral was right next to me on the drivers side. They couldn't walk 10 steps to put it away? Anyway, thank you to those that do. Maybe if enough of us do this we can start others to take note and do the same.

Rhonda 12-30-2010 02:14 PM

I do like to give the person who doesn't put their cart away the benefit of the doubt. I have personally been in the situation where I had a child in the car I couldn't leave to put the cart away. Or my DH was not doing well and I didn't want to leave him long enough to put the cart away. There can be extenuating circumstances where someone who can't walk well can't take the extra steps to put it away. I imagine most of them are left by people who just don't care but I like to think maybe this one was left because that person couldn't put it away.

I so enjoy it when someone walking up to go to the store will offer to take my cart so I don't have to put it away. Some days my breathing is not good and those extra steps are torture for me after expending my energy in the store.

I don't always know the other person's situation. So I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Rhonda 12-30-2010 02:23 PM

Ok this is going to come out as a complaint so please understand I am only saying this to raise awareness.

I am always aggravated when I park in a long handicapped parking place so we can unload Glen's wheelchair and when I come out someone has parked on the no parking lines behind my vehicle and I can't get his wheelchair in the van til they move. So we have to sit and wait for that person to move!

When you see a handicapped parking spot it is illegal to park on those lines. They are there for the handicapped person to load and unload. If someone parks there then that handicapped person cannot get in or get their gear in the van. This is very uncool!! Especially in bad weather!

Most of the people who have done this to me are also handicapped and feel they have the right to do whatever they want to. One lady told me I should have moved her car! Yeah right like that is going to happen! I don't want to be accused of stealing her vehicle.

This is a courtesy as well as a legal thing that people don't consider the plight of the handicapped person who parked in that space.

My DH has had people run over his feet when he is in the wheelchair in the stores. So I guess I am saying please be aware of handicapped people when you shop and consider what they may need help with. Or at least be courteous enough not to step on them or push them out of the way. Some staff have been known to be discourteous to my husband also because he is in a wheel chair.

I would love to make everyone use a wheelchair at least one whole day so they understand the limits this puts on the handicapped person.

Sorry to post a downer but it is important to me to make people aware of the need for consideration of the handicapped person.

Darlene 12-30-2010 02:31 PM

Today we got our computer back from a young guy who recently lost his job. He is a computer whiz who does work at home on the side; anyway he was going to charge $100 but my DH gave him an extra $80. He is going for an interview this coming week so we hope it works out for him,

Nolee 12-30-2010 02:33 PM

I don't think posting about what "aware" people know as common sense toward those in handicapped parking is in the least bit "complaining" or a "downer". What happened to people using their brains? There is NO EXCUSE for parking in those lines. You did a fine job of explaining it, thank you. I'm sure every physically handicapped person is grateful. After all, we are ALL handicapped in some sense of the word. No one is perfect.

Ms Kay 12-30-2010 02:49 PM

I was just in walmart and an elderly woman asked if she could see the xmas pin I had on my jacket. It was a gold outline of a reeindeer with a red scarf. She loved it. So I took it off and gave it to her. She was thrilled.... It made me feel good also. Her daughter put it right on her monters jacket. And thanked me again.

Rhonda 12-30-2010 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nolee
I don't think posting about what "aware" people know as common sense toward those in handicapped parking is in the least bit "complaining" or a "downer". What happened to people using their brains? There is NO EXCUSE for parking in those lines. You did a fine job of explaining it, thank you. I'm sure every physically handicapped person is grateful. After all, we are ALL handicapped in some sense of the word. No one is perfect.

Thanks Nolee. I try not to be negative but I do have my soap box themes and this is one of mine. My kids would say quit lecturing MOM! LOL But I don't think some people think about what their actions do to others.

That is why this thread was started. I love to hear all the bright and beautiful ways people help and uplift others!! And it is nice to know not everyone has lost their manners!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Rhonda 12-30-2010 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ms Kay
I was just in walmart and an elderly woman asked if she could see the xmas pin I had on my jacket. It was a gold outline of a reeindeer with a red scarf. She loved it. So I took it off and gave it to her. She was thrilled.... It made me feel good also. Her daughter put it right on her monters jacket. And thanked me again.

Love it Ms Kay that was so sweet of you!