Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What other crafts do you make besides quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-other-crafts-do-you-make-besides-quilting-t35304.html)

burnsk 01-28-2010 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Hi,
I thought this would be fun to find out what other crafts we make. Please introduce yourself and tell us what crafts you enjoy.

LOL - this sounds like an AA meeting. Hi, my name is Kathy and I'm a fabricholic.

My crafts are many. I'm a floral designer (owned my own store for 10 years). I make miniature pictures with artificial flowers in shadowbox frames. I do stained glass. I knit and crochet. I do counted cross stitch and needle point. I've sewn garments since I was about 8 years old and love sewing. I did a couple of weddings (just the bridesmaids and flower girls)) and decided that sewing for others was not my thing. I do make slacks and jammies for the grandkids but that's the extent of making clothes for others, unless halloween costumes count. I've done reupholstering. I make drapes and curtains. I make quilts, tapestry tree skirts (everyone in the family has one but me), table runners, place mats, hot pads, lamp pads, and anything related. I taught quilting classes for a fabric store. I like to sculpt. I refinish furniture. I collect Hallmark Ornaments. I make a holiday ornament every year for family and friends. And with all the little ones, lots of kids crafts right now.

craftybear 01-28-2010 05:59 PM

Wow, we are all so talented. It is fun to make all types of crafts and I am so happy I started this thread. We can find out more about what quilter love to do (besides cooking and cleaning) ha ha

Come on members post so we know what other crafts you love to make!

Karen

QuiltMania 01-28-2010 06:11 PM

Ok, here goes...
Besides quilting, crochet, needlepoint, lacemaking (still suck at this), hand spinning, canning, scrapbooking, cake making, candy making, bread making, rug hooking. That's about it.

Beachbound 01-29-2010 07:46 PM

Hi my name is Dody and yes, Kathy I'm a fabricholic too.
Besides quilting and sewing I enjoy stamping/cardmking/scrapbooking. I got into that hobby when I saw that I could finish a project in just a few hours! WOW! the appeal that had for me!!!! I've tried just about everything else but always come back to quilting & stamping. If you think fabric collecting is addictive you should see my stamps & decorative paper collection....geeze

Boston1954 01-29-2010 08:09 PM

Writing poetry (201 so far), photography, collecting blue glassware, and I used to crochet and cross stitch.

grammynan 01-30-2010 05:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi! My name is Nancy and I also enjoy doing a lot of crafts. I do quilting, sewing, painting, knitting, crochet. I've done cross stitch, needlepoint, tatting - just about everything other than scrapbooking and jewelry making.

My mother taught me to sew when I was a small child. I made my prom dresses, a lot of my clothes and I even made my wedding dress.

The thing I'm most proud of is my cake business. I sell celebration cakes and wedding cakes. I've had my business for a couple of years. Although I'm not busy every week, it does give me a small income which I often use to fund my other interests!!

Here are a couple of my favorite wedding cakes:

sewnsewer2 01-30-2010 06:47 AM

Grammynan those are just beautiful!! I love watching the wedding cake shows on TV. Your's look just as beautiful, I'm sure your clients were very happy!

dglvr 01-30-2010 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by *QuilterWannabee*
I make dried flower/herb/oil filled drawer sachets.

Wow that sounds like fun. Do you have pictures?

littlehud 01-30-2010 12:16 PM

I used to do cross stitch and crocheting. Since I found quilting these have fallen to the wayside. I may start again someday.

Margie 01-30-2010 08:32 PM

I used to do a lot of different things, hand embroidery, a little crochet, and lots of knitting. Now I mostly sew and machine embroider, knit sometimes. I enjoy knitting because it is so portable, great for car travel.

Margie