Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What other hobbies do you have? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-other-hobbies-do-you-have-t50062.html)

eightylady 06-19-2010 05:50 AM

Betty J, what elegance. I hope you make lots of money with your talented hobbies...or do you get attached to them, especially the doll:-)

Annz 06-19-2010 03:22 PM

I have had my hands in many things over the years but quilting is my love. I also do all the repairs in the house, plus putting in floors, painting, wall papering and many more home related projects. I own all the tools in my house and believe me I have a lot. Oh by the way I have a husband and 3 boys ages 24, 22 and 19 and they only once in a while show an interest in tools. 24 year old no longer lives at home.

TerryS 06-20-2010 03:34 AM

Wow. I am impressed with the amount of talent quilters have. I quilt, cross stitch, crochet, knit, make candles, garden (vegetables), am getting ready to try growing herbs, and I do beading once in a while. Goal in life?! Try to get some projects done.

kwiltkrazy 06-20-2010 04:41 AM

My husband, my 2 boys, and cooking lol

hpylady 06-20-2010 08:03 AM

GramaNan, you and I have alot in common. Your thread is just like one I would write. Hobbies same here. Identical. Oh! let me throw in the harmonica, that is the very easiest instrument. :thumbup:

Rosyhf 06-20-2010 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by eightylady
wow, rosy, what do you do in your spare time?

I try to sleep hahahahahah

Rosyhf 06-20-2010 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
This is such a great thread. I feel like I know everyone a bit better now. So many talented people on this board! My other hobbies are needlepoint, cross stitch, occasionally I'll knit, crochet or needle tatting. I really like wood turning and making pens, but haven't had much time for it lately. I joke that doing laundry and cleaning the house must be my favorite "hobby" since I do so much of it. My second best love after quilting is reading.

Yes that is why I started this topic. I find I can know someone much better when I can relate...I love it.

Rosyhf 06-20-2010 08:59 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by eightylady
Brush and Thimble, I'm awed...how does one paint on quilts? And I think the box is beautiful! Good going!

Sometimes I will paint on a quilt if I think I need a little more shadow or contrast in the design. I use Decoart Americana so soft (SS) fabric paint. I used to work for that company and did a lot of traveling for them teaching etc. YOu can wash and it remains nice a soft like the fabric.

I will also paint blocks to include in quilts. I will dig some out later and take pics. Here is a butterfly quilt that one of my painter friends painted and I made into a quilt for her and it travels to all the painting convention.....I will find the file of the entire quilt later..

If you any of you are folk artists/ decorative artist...you might recognize these blocks as Doxie Keller's painting....

nativetexan 06-20-2010 09:03 AM

I used to make jewelry, do tole painting, oil painting, make my own clothing, etc. Now i pretty much quilt when i have the energy, but mostly i read books, which i love to do.

Martina 06-20-2010 09:06 AM

Let's see; I like to crochet, knit, and quilt of course :-). I paint (mostly with acrylics),I love gardening and cooking/baking. I also love to scuba dive!!!! (That's the only sport I really participate in..lol) Ceramics is also on my list of hobbies, I love to sculpt and making pots without ceramics paints, I rather use horsehair and the smoking process to decorate. I am absolutely in love with the Native American designs and their culture. Every once in while I take out the molds I brought with me from Europe, and make Venetian Masks.