Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What were you called when you were little, and by whom? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-were-you-called-when-you-were-little-whom-t100430.html)

Sienna's GiGi 02-18-2011 03:05 AM

"Nanarita" My mom called me that.

puck116 02-18-2011 07:24 AM

Well all the aunts/uncles called me Janet Karen because my mother was also Janet, but her middle name was Alice. So even now when I go to a wake or gathering they call me Janet Karen. My mother has been gone for 8 yrs. and I'm in my 50's.

My sibs called me "Baby", because I was the youngest. When I was approaching dating age, my mother made them stop. She said it would be too embarrassing to have a boy come to the house and have my brothers calling, "Baby your date is here."

laalaaquilter 02-18-2011 07:37 AM

My mama called me 'pumpkin' and I have a fetish for them now. The family of a fiance called me 'missy chrissy' (ended up not getting married...very smart). DH and I call each other 'doll baby' and 'baby doll' interchangeably. I call a friend's little girl 'doll face'. They've just had another girl. I can't wait to meet her and find out what her's will be....I'm thinking 'sugar pea' or 'sugar snap'?

slstitcher 02-18-2011 07:59 AM

My sister called me Q for Suzy Q and still does and my uncle calles me Shoes (Suz).

Naturalmama 02-18-2011 08:16 AM

My Gram called me TeenBean 'cause I was as skinny as a string bean (and my name is Tina).

laalaaquilter 02-18-2011 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA

Originally Posted by kwhite
I was called ugly and stupid. That was many years ago and in a world far far away.

I am so very sorry for that burden you've carried. You are quite beautiful, you know, and likely very smart. I think you should be called Friend. :)

Jan in VA

You tell her Jan!

yonnikka 02-18-2011 08:22 AM

My parents called the firstborn "son." and ergo; I was called "sister" but fb had a lithp, tho I wath called "thithter" or "thithy"
The kindergarten teacher didn't understand why I would never respond to her. So there was a CONSULTATION. Turns out, I had never known my name. I had never been infomed that I had a name, not just a role. So, at 5 years old I learned to spell my name, a half year before the other children were taught. Things were different back then. Not much was expected of 5-year-olds. Handling scissors was the big accomplishment.

laalaaquilter 02-18-2011 08:47 AM

It has been so fun and also bittersweet to read all of the postings here. Thank you all for the trip down memory lane.

I forgot on my previous posting that I'm called 'Queen' by a group of friends (I'm very tall, very opinionated, and not the least bit shy about sharing).

Those of you called 'lou' or 'sue' in the middle, it is an endearment. Like Cindy Lou Who from The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. I call my SMIL Brenda Sue for that very reason.

I think we need to start a thread on nicknames for our pets LOL

AnnieF 02-18-2011 08:55 AM

My name is Ann Marie and my older sister (1 year older) couldn't say that so she called me Amadee. That was the pet name my father called me until the day he died...and I was 48 at the time.

Jennifer22206 02-18-2011 09:05 AM

I was called Jellybean too. Then it moved to Bean. Also Punkin