Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What's your remedy for athletes foot? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/whats-your-remedy-athletes-foot-t122325.html)

Lneal 05-11-2011 07:43 AM

Please share as my son is in need of some help with his athletes foot.What works?

luey0202 05-11-2011 07:45 AM

I have heard...if you soak their feet in vinegar and also have heard soaking them in green tea.... never have had to do it ... i believe I saw that on the Doctor's... gl

AgapeStitches 05-11-2011 07:50 AM

Try soaking them in Listerene (or store brand) original...not the blue or green...WORKED wonders on my teenage son's smelly feet. Also put baking soda and newspaper in shoes for 24 hours to dry/absorb moisture.

jdiane318 05-11-2011 07:52 AM

Because Athelete's Foot is a fungus, keeping the feet dry and clean is a must. He will need a fungal cream to help get rid of what is there for now. Wearing white socks is a huge help, too, in the healing and soothing process. When feet are wet, they are prime for fungal growth. Scratching spreads and irritates the affected areas. I know that Walmart carries a tolfinate cream that is as good as the name brand to save some money. Hope this helps.

ckcowl 05-11-2011 08:22 AM

a dr's appointment is how you deal with athlete's foot- there are lots of over the counter products out there that will treat the symptoms but if you want to actually get rid of it go to the dr and get medication that makes it go away.

QuiltE 05-11-2011 08:23 AM

Ditto ... the Dr!
along with clean dry footwear and socks .... and change them up daily, and sometimes more than once a day.

When in public areas (ie gyms) don't put your bare feet on the floor ... take flip flops to wear and use them even in the shower.

AlienQuilter 05-11-2011 08:33 AM

And here's an important tip a friend gave me.

If you have atletes foot, make sure you have socks on before putting your underwear on. Otherwise, raking the clean underwear over the infected area will move the infection upwards and might be the cause for jock itch.

oatw13 05-11-2011 08:42 AM

Tea tree oil or grapefruit seed extract work well. Also, be sure to disinfect shoes and socks, also. Wash socks in HOT water.

Go to the doctor and find out the cause. My son's chronic athlete's foot was caused by an overgrowth of yeast in his system. It also causes thrush and some other skin issues. After switching to a mostly organic diet and probiotics, he hasn't had any issues in a few years.

I go To The Sea To Breathe 05-11-2011 08:54 AM

First wash tennis shoes and let sit outside in hot sun for a day, then just really use the Gold Bond Foot Powder or one of the spray on over the counter athletic foot sprays with antibactrial stuff in them...if it keeps getting worse may have to get a RX from the dr. usually it clears up for our guys....and have them wear shower shoes in gym etc.

Ramona Byrd 05-11-2011 08:59 AM

I kill everything with MMS. It has been used to kill mold in New Orleans houses that were underwater, in drinking water, even to cleansing blood before transfusions, lots of other things it kills. It's even taken internally, which I do. Also put it on cutting boards when I'm cutting meats and chicken and veggies, cleanses it between different foods.

Another way to sterilize cutting boards and maybe even feet, is to spray them with vinegar, wipe, then spray with peroxide.

But like others have said, white socks, DRY feet..and lots of soap. Unfortunately with new hormones working teen boys get sweaty feet a lot. Wearing flip flops in summer might help air out the feet.