Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What's your remedy for athletes foot? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/whats-your-remedy-athletes-foot-t122325.html)

sueisallaboutquilts 05-11-2011 09:08 AM

Interesting post. I have chronic athlete's foot and it requires a lot of attention on my part. Someone mentioned dietary changes, very interesting, b/c I get it much less than I used to since we started eating only healthy foods with only an occasional treat.
I guess I can say now that I'm no longer chronic! :)
I think going to the doctor is an option but I didn't have to.
Just by using the products in the store religiously that kill fungus I've been fine when I do have break-outs.

icon17 05-11-2011 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lneal
Please share as my son is in need of some help with his athletes foot.What works?

I don't know if it works for Athletes foot but its a fungus so it mite!
I use to have heels that cracked and bled hurt!!! my fingers did this too! it was a type of fungus. Found out that plain old 'Vicks vapor rub' will cure it!!!!!! BUT you have to be Diligent!!!! for a long time. I put it on at night thick then socks, only after did I realize my fingers were better too. its never come back and thats been 2yrs. 8-) PS you can get the dollar store stuff it works fine!!

DAWNROBIN 05-11-2011 09:43 AM

Use the Vaginal creams for women. It really works !!! And that remedy a doctor told me when my Teenage boys got this. It's cheep and always handy around the house.

DAWNROBIN 05-11-2011 09:45 AM

Use the Vaginal creams for women. It really works !!! And that remedy a doctor told me when my Teenage boys got this. It's cheep and always handy around the house.Apply at night with white cotton socks while they'll sleep.

ladyredhawk 05-11-2011 10:05 AM

My son's feet were so bad, I took and added alittle bleach, (this will burn raw feet so add just a little the first time) then slowly add more till he can stand it this will stop the iching. and put him in white cotton socks. Soak everyday and it will kill all his problems. You will also have to bleach the tub and shower and if he uses public showers get him a pair of flip- flops or he will keep getting it when you stop the bleach baths. my sons quit.

DogHouseMom 05-11-2011 10:18 AM

This is not a recommendation but a history of my husband.

Before I met him he broke his leg in such a way that it required Titanium rods, bolts - etc. His body rejected it - and expressed it in his foot in a type of fungi similar to athletes foot. He tried all the remedies prescribed by the doctors. Nothing worked.

For some reason HE decided to use bleach. He soaked his foot in a diluted solution and let it air dry, and he poured bleach in his shoes (tennies) and let them air dry. One treatment was all it took. Fungi gone. Every now and then it returned and he'd repeat his bleach "therapy" once and be good for months or even a year.

jbud2 05-11-2011 01:49 PM

I use Vicks for athlete's foot. I noticed also that a 'plantars' wart' - one of those ingrown things - had started to grow on the bottom of my foot and when I started using Vicks/white socks on my feet, that thing went away, too. I also 'grease up my feet' when I have a cold and put whatever kind of stocking I want on. It works - my feet don't cough either. . . .

cctx. 05-11-2011 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by icon17

Originally Posted by Lneal
Please share as my son is in need of some help with his athletes foot.What works?

I don't know if it works for Athletes foot but its a fungus so it mite!
I use to have heels that cracked and bled hurt!!! my fingers did this too! it was a type of fungus. Found out that plain old 'Vicks vapor rub' will cure it!!!!!! BUT you have to be Diligent!!!! for a long time. I put it on at night thick then socks, only after did I realize my fingers were better too. its never come back and thats been 2yrs. 8-) PS you can get the dollar store stuff it works fine!!

You're correct, that's what I use to control it on my left foot/toe. Funny that it grows only on my piggy toe.
Dr. did prescribe Lamisil years ago, but it comes back to that toe only.

Especially in the winter when your skin gets really dry and cracking this soothes the irritated area.

Good tips, will have to try out some of these remedies or foot bath for that piggy toe.

Robinlee 05-11-2011 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ladyredhawk
My son's feet were so bad, I took and added alittle bleach, (this will burn raw feet so add just a little the first time) then slowly add more till he can stand it this will stop the iching. and put him in white cotton socks. Soak everyday and it will kill all his problems. You will also have to bleach the tub and shower and if he uses public showers get him a pair of flip- flops or he will keep getting it when you stop the bleach baths. my sons quit.

This is the "cure" i have used and still use. My husband still uses this. This past week he did purchase "Lotrimin" to spray on his feet for the itching, and it seems to be working this last time and I've finally got him to wear White socks over his feet to help.

Lneal 05-11-2011 06:02 PM

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions and for sharing what has worked for you.