Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What's your remedy for athletes foot? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/whats-your-remedy-athletes-foot-t122325.html)

vjengels 05-12-2011 04:33 AM

I'm prone to that myself.
Here's what I do.
White all cotton socks,( the higher count cotton the better) Bleached each wash.

don't wear the same shoes every day.
Antibacterial soap every day, dry feet & toes thoroughly.
antifungal spray .
Not to be gross... but I've heard that Uric Acid helps kill the bacteria. I don't urinate in the shower so, can't vouch for this personally.

Dotsie 05-12-2011 04:59 AM

It's a fungus, keep feet very dry, throw old socks away, put shoes in very hot sunshine, go to a doctor to get a very good fungus remedy.

theifner 05-12-2011 05:02 AM

spray your feet with right guard

frenchrose 05-12-2011 05:22 AM

my husband had the same problem as did his brother i had them to soak there feet in apple cider vinger about 2 to 3 times a week untill it was gone they are now free.of it.

scrapbeagle 05-12-2011 05:28 AM

Going to the Dr. first may be the best option. My son has chronic problems too, but in the beginning I made it worse by using over the counter products for athletes foot - it seems my son is allergic to one of the common ingredients in these creams and actually made the rash blister as if his foot was burned. He is also allergic to the tea tree oils and my dermatologist told me that we should stay away from these products. Unfortunately, my poor son has inherited my very sensitive skin. Good luck.

Rachel 05-12-2011 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by DAWNROBIN
Use the Vaginal creams for women. It really works !!! And that remedy a doctor told me when my Teenage boys got this. It's cheep and always handy around the house.Apply at night with white cotton socks while they'll sleep.

This really does work and is so much cheaper than the stuff made specifically for athlete's foot.

grannypat7925 05-12-2011 06:13 AM

Go to the ocean and wade in the surf.

catmcclure 05-12-2011 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lneal
Please share as my son is in need of some help with his athletes foot.What works?

Just a note - the athlete's foot cream is a 1% solution of miconazole. It costs about $12 for a 1 ounce tube. The vaginal cream for yeast infections is a 1% solution of miconazole. It costs about $12 for about eight times as much cream.

That said, if I have any problems with athlete's foot, I buy a tube of the vaginal cream and use it.

I've also been told that cinnamon powder is a great antifungal and you can use it in your socks.

SewExtremeSeams 05-12-2011 09:17 AM

Great topic!

katcox 05-12-2011 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by luey0202
I have heard...if you soak their feet in vinegar and also have heard soaking them in green tea.... never have had to do it ... i believe I saw that on the Doctor's... gl

This is what I had my nephew do, vinegar one.