Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   when the chips are down? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/when-chips-down-t145547.html)

TanyaL 08-16-2011 07:08 AM

Is you son permanently located near Atlanta? Or could he have to relocate due to employment issues sometime in the future? I am guessing there is a reason you chose south Texas to live. Have you retired there? Does your husband have health issues?

amandasgramma 08-16-2011 07:12 AM

I lost my DH -- am remarried. All of the advice above is excellent!!! Knowing where everything is (bills, tax info, etc) important. I knew and yet, during that horrible time after, I had problems remembering and filling out paperwork. I can't imagine where I'd be if I'd not known anything!

This is a good idea for everyone - no matter what your health is, no matter how old you are. You never know when you'll be called home.

Sally 1612 08-16-2011 07:13 AM

Thanks for your information. We have all paperwork and know where it is. Have told son same info. I guess it is just fear of have we covered everything. Since we both are 70+ years old some things go "thoughts" in your head. If you know what I mean. Can always learn from others experience. This all started because a friend in Tn has been told she has liver cancer.Not a drinker,never been. They are to tell here this week IF anything can give her hope. Then my other friend lost her husband also in Tn and made mistakes, I think, by signing everything over to her children.She is afraid of becomming ill and having to be put into a nurseing home. Guess this is what most people think about sometimes. Again thanks for all your replies and advice.

Have many friends in Tn, Hohenwald area. :)

flowerjoy 08-16-2011 07:14 AM

I think it might depend on age, health, climate, etc. But, in my case I am 63 and retired. I love the south Florida climate; but my son lives in another state and I love him more. So, once health insurance allowed, I would move to a location near him. That is just my preference. I believe thinking and talking about it before hand would be beneficial (just intuition).

Sally 1612 08-16-2011 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
Is you son permanently located near Atlanta? Or could he have to relocate due to employment issues sometime in the future? I am guessing there is a reason you chose south Texas to live. Have you retired there? Does your husband have health issues?

Son can't relocate because of job. Yep we both have health issue which are under control. Feel that Dr's here have saved us two or more times ...here....and we are retired.

:thumbup:

flowerjoy 08-16-2011 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sally 1612

Originally Posted by TanyaL

Son can't relocate because of job. Yep we both have health issue which are under control. Feel that Dr's here have saved us two or more times ...here....and we are retired.

:thumbup:

It may be more important then to stay put... but work on other issues such as building a support group (via quilting groups, etc), regularly planned visits to family, etc. Maybe your doctors could give advice as to good doctors available in another area, if you chose to relocate. It might be something to discuss with your doctors about your concerns.

patski 08-16-2011 08:25 AM

I've been through it, hadn't discussed it but learned that you need to wait a while before making a decision. I eventually moved but dealt with death and all the issues. It really takes some time so its' best to know where things are in advance

TanyaL 08-16-2011 03:23 PM

It sounds as if you have everything you need there in Mission except cooler weather - which you will have about 9 months of the year- and good friends. The friends you have to look for and cultivate; they do not just happen. Join a quilting group or start a quilting group. Join a prayer/Bible study group - what ever is your interest. Be a friend in order to make a friend. Volunteer in order to meet people. The friends you left in Tennessee will be dying off - that' sad but true of our age group. Some will die, some will move away, that old gang will not stay the same so please do not pine for the old friends. Make new friends where you are. Don't worry that you don't speak Spanish, many other women speak English and Spanish so you can probably make friends with Hispanic ladies. You speak "Quilting". Find others who speak it also. Have fun!

Sally 1612 08-16-2011 05:10 PM

Thanks everyone.... you lift my spirit. :)

Jingle 08-16-2011 05:15 PM

Our oldest Daughter knows where I keep all important papers, she will be trustee after we die or can't function. Our oldest Granddaughter is now in early 20s. We have said what we want, everything ready to go.