Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   When People Ask For Hand Outs and Donations (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/when-people-ask-hand-outs-donations-t48820.html)

Dragonfly Nana 06-08-2010 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
I only have to worry about my actions. I believe in the long run, the universe settles the score.

Well said Hazeljane! :thumbup:

BKinCO 06-08-2010 06:56 AM

Hazeljane ~ I have had the SAME thing happen to me! Twice, two complete strangers PM'd me asking me for stuff. I just thought it was kind of weird ~ I looked them up and I never had responded to anything they had said. I just deleted their PMs to me. Odd.

Up North 06-08-2010 07:04 AM

I have sent things to people on the board and also have received things. I really appreciate the things I have received When I was working I could share now that I am laid off things are different. When I give I do it from my heart and hope the person getting things can use it or pass it along to someone who can. I give with no strings attached.

LBryan13790 06-08-2010 07:09 AM

I like to hear about someone doing good work for others and give that way. The person may not need help, but I find it is appreciated.

cjomomma 06-08-2010 07:43 AM

I give new meaning to the phrase ticked pink when I receive fabrics and notions in the mail. I stand out at the mail box and do a happy dance. My kids think I'm crazy. As soon as I am back in the apt I go straight to the cp and send out my thank you's. It doesn't take much to get me excited I guess.

Bevanger 06-08-2010 07:56 AM

I guess maybe I ask to much for fabrics, but being on ssi , i am financially limited. so when i get fabs i appreciate it cuz i get to sew. i show pics constantly to show everyone that i am using their fabrics and i'm quick to say thank you. I've been here a couple years and if i ask for alot, please pm me and tell me. Sometimes I get so excited when sewing with these fabs, I don't think .... So PLEASE tell me if I'm overdoing it. :oops:

b.zang 06-08-2010 07:57 AM

Could it be sometimes that this is such a huge collection of people that when somebody asks for something - like you did, cjomomma - the response is wa-a-ay bigger than expected. Now, we all like free, unexpected goodies, so maybe the recipient is overwhelmed with the response and turning off that tap is a challenge. Too much of a good thing isn't quite so good.

sueisallaboutquilts 06-08-2010 08:04 AM

Hi everybody! Wow, that IS strange to get a PM for fabric from someone you've never had contact with. I wouldn't respond either but I will gladly share what I have with a lot of people on here so that someone else gets to sew. I feel like I know so many of you by now :D My problems is I'm afraid somebody won't like what I send. I know it's silly. I need to get over it! If they can't use it they can always give it to someone else :D
I love this board and all of YOU :D:D:D:D

reach for the stars 2 06-08-2010 08:09 AM

One time a homeless man was asking for money by my husband's work, so I give him 5.00. I was wanting for my husband to get done with work so I was waiting awhile. And much to my surprise I saw the homeless mn walk away and get into a brand new Catty. Needless to say I needed the money more than him. That's Chicago for ya.

quilting memaw 06-08-2010 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by reach for the stars 2
One time a homeless man was asking for money by my husband's work, so I give him 5.00. I was wanting for my husband to get done with work so I was waiting awhile. And much to my surprise I saw the homeless mn walk away and get into a brand new Catty. Needless to say I needed the money more than him. That's Chicago for ya.

I got hit like that once. I give food and clothing now. If I see some one hungry, I order something and give it to them. Did that one time at Mc D's. Little old guy, drinking coffee, frail and thin....I bought him breakfast and he SOO loved it....I like helping others out. I have been there when I was hungry and had no clothing or no shelter....SO I thank God for what I have everyday.