Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   who remember clotheslines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/who-remember-clotheslines-t19913.html)

butterflywing 05-10-2009 08:45 AM

when we bought our last house, there was a pump room/laundry room in back of the kitchen and in the attic there hooks for clothesline to hang on a bad day. we later learned that once a week a laundress came and did the laundry and a live-in 'country girl' hung everything up outside. when the weather was bad, the girl had to climb three flights of stairs to hang clothes in the attic from clotheslines.

those girls came to town to put money away for marriage and to meet a town boy.

i'll keep my own life, thanks. wouldn't you?

Maribeth 05-10-2009 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by MsSage

Originally Posted by Mplsgirl

Originally Posted by Maribeth
Our HOA doesn't allow clotheslines, my neighbors said they even received a warning from the HOA for leaving pool towels to dry on the deck overnight. (But I read somewhere there is a national "green" movement to outlaw any limitations on clotheslines, hope that passes.) I would love one, they sound so healthy and fresh. My family didn't have one when I was a child. When we moved to Virginia in the late 60s my mom got her first clothes dryer (she said she has had a washer her whole life), she was so happy, she used to talk about what a chore line drying was.

Speaking of HOAs, an HOA in Orange County CA can fine you for leaving your garage door open for longer than an hour. This is in a subdivision where every home is the same color, etc.

Fl has passed a law stating no HOA can fine a homeowne for a cloths line. I am sure other states will join in.
That is why I will NEVER live in a neighborhood with a HOA. Its MY property and I can do what I want.

All of my houses have had lines and they were used. personal items always dryed using the wooden one inside makes your bras last longer. Now I dont have a line and I miss it so much I love the crispness of towels and the smell of sheets and quilts.
As for ironing uuuuggg I HATE it. I only do fabric now. I LOVE that LOL go figure.

I would love to see the "HOAgoons" faces if that ever passes, I would put one up out of spite. I know there is a federal law to protect homeowners flying American flags because some HOA's tried to ban them, so let's hope. They walk the neighborhood together with their clipboards every month. The letters arrive the next week. I kind of feel bad for them, how sad their lives must be that this is how they choose to spend their free time.

Until I bought here I didn't know how bad HOAs could be. I will never do it again, but this isn't the time to sell.

Knot Sew 05-10-2009 09:04 AM

I was beginning to think everyone used dryers, i love my clothes line. I confess in the winter I use the dryer, or plastic hanger on the shower rod. I have a load to hang now, if you leave them overnight they seem to soften. I take socks and underwear to the dryer, we like that soft :wink:

MadQuilter 05-10-2009 09:15 AM

My Mom still uses a clothes line - she lives in Germany and she has broken the "Monday" rule because it's more about the weather these days than the day. But I believe that the other rules are still followed. (I'm actually glad about the undies in the middle. Those might scare young children.)

I have tried using the line a few years ago - being in CA and all, but the dust in the country is awful, the birds have no manners, and by the time I got the clothes off, I they were as dry as a board. NO thanks, I take Bounce sheets and my dryer any day.

Mplsgirl 05-10-2009 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by MsSage

Our HOA doesn't allow clotheslines, my neighbors said they even received a warning from the HOA for leaving pool towels to dry on the deck overnight. (But I read somewhere there is a national "green" movement to outlaw any limitations on clotheslines, hope that passes.) I would love one, they sound so healthy and fresh. My family didn't have one when I was a child. When we moved to Virginia in the late 60s my mom got her first clothes dryer (she said she has had a washer her whole life), she was so happy, she used to talk about what a chore line drying was.

Speaking of HOAs, an HOA in Orange County CA can fine you for leaving your garage door open for longer than an hour. This is in a subdivision where every home is the same color, etc.

Fl has passed a law stating no HOA can fine a homeowne for a cloths line. I am sure other states will join in.
That is why I will NEVER live in a neighborhood with a HOA. Its MY property and I can do what I want.

All of my houses have had lines and they were used. personal items always dryed using the wooden one inside makes your bras last longer. Now I dont have a line and I miss it so much I love the crispness of towels and the smell of sheets and quilts.
As for ironing uuuuggg I HATE it. I only do fabric now. I LOVE that LOL go figure.

I would love to see the "HOAgoons" faces if that ever passes, I would put one up out of spite. I know there is a federal law to protect homeowners flying American flags because some HOA's tried to ban them, so let's hope. They walk the neighborhood together with their clipboards every month. The letters arrive the next week. I kind of feel bad for them, how sad their lives must be that this is how they choose to spend their free time.

Until I bought here I didn't know how bad HOAs could be. I will never do it again, but this isn't the time to sell.

I remember the HOAs goosestepping around the neighborhood, clipboards in hand. When we moved from CA to our Midwest we swore never again!!!!! My home, my yard, my mortgage.

Bill'sBonBon 05-10-2009 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chele
I've always heard such wonderful talk about clotheslines. The smell, the crispness, etc. Not to mention saving energy. Maybe we should do a couple of loads this way. And hide the 'unmentionables" of course! LOL! Thanks for sharing. Now I know how to do it!

Oh Chele, the way you hang unmentionables is to hang them about 3 to 4 by their straddle,for a better word. :mrgreen: :shock: :lol: I was taught that by my Mom. :lol: :lol: Being Cotton or nylon on a hot sunny Florida day it didn't take long for them to dry. Now The Males Boxers were hung up by their elastic waist bands. :lol: I haven't had a closeline in a lot of years. Where I lived in South Florida they used to burn SugarCane and the ashes drifted down on your clean clothes, Really makes you say bad stuff. Sometimes if you were lucky you beat the burning and could get them out and back in before they burned the cane.
The close cleaning companies and the softener companies could never compete with good old sunshine and air for a wonderful smell.
BillsBonBon

tlrnhi 05-10-2009 02:51 PM

[quote=Mplsgirl
I remember the HOAs goosestepping around the neighborhood, clipboards in hand. When we moved from CA to our Midwest we swore never again!!!!! My home, my yard, my mortgage. [/quote]

One reason why I won't buy a house with an HOA. Iit's MY house to pain pink with purple polka dots if I want to! In fact, there is a house down the road here that was painted like that. The people sold it and painted it back white. :( I kept saying I was going to take a pic of it because it was pretty, but never did. :(

Rhonda 05-10-2009 03:02 PM

[quote=tlrnhi]

I remember the HOAs goosestepping around the neighborhood, clipboards in hand. When we moved from CA to our Midwest we swore never again!!!!! My home, my yard, my mortgage. [/quote

One reason why I won't buy a house with an HOA. Iit's MY house to pain pink with purple polka dots if I want to! In fact, there is a house down the road here that was painted like that. The people sold it and painted it back white. :( I kept saying I was going to take a pic of it because it was pretty, but never did. :(

We have a house in our little neighborhood that is painted to look like a cow. People call it the Cow House. They painted big black spots all over three sides and the side you pull up to is painted with a mural showing a cow and her calf in the barn. It is really something!

I don't know what a HOA is but we do have some city rules that are annoying. Some of the town council go around and check out people with things in their yards they think should be removed or fixed. Sometimes it is a good thing and sometimes it seems like they are trying to cause trouble for someone they don't like!

Mplsgirl 05-10-2009 03:09 PM

[quote=Rhonda]

Originally Posted by tlrnhi

I remember the HOAs goosestepping around the neighborhood, clipboards in hand. When we moved from CA to our Midwest we swore never again!!!!! My home, my yard, my mortgage. [/quote

We have a house in our little neighborhood that is painted to look like a cow. People call it the Cow House. They painted big black spots all over three sides and the side you pull up to is painted with a mural showing a cow and her calf in the barn. It is really something!

I don't know what a HOA is but we do have some city rules that are annoying. Some of the town council go around and check out people with things in their yards they think should be removed or fixed. Sometimes it is a good thing and sometimes it seems like they are trying to cause trouble for someone they don't like!

HOA is Home Owners Association. You pay a lot of money every month so they can harrase you and tell you how to live your life. Run, run for your life if you get involved in a community that has this.

PrettyKitty 05-11-2009 12:35 AM

We've always used clothes lines, and still do. I live in a flat, so don't have one, but I take my bed sheets round to my Mom and Dad's house to wash, so I can hang them on their line.