Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   who remember clotheslines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/who-remember-clotheslines-t19913.html)

Shadow Dancer 05-11-2009 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
k - i don't hide my undies either. that proves to my neighbors that i wear 'em.

upnorth - yes, brighter is better. when i use the dryer in the winter, the sheets get yellow-ish. normally, the sun bleaches that out.

We all still laugh about my girlfriend, she hung her undies on the clothes line and someone stole them!!! It was really hard to keep a straight face when she called the police and the young officer who answered the call was trying to be so professional when asking her for descriptions of the items missing. LOL

k3n 05-11-2009 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer

We all still laugh about my girlfriend, she hung her undies on the clothes line and someone stole them!!! It was really hard to keep a straight face when she called the police and the young officer who answered the call was trying to be so professional when asking her for descriptions of the items missing. LOL

:lol: I wonder if it was someone weird or someone just took a shine to her undies? I guess they were never recovered?! And if so, would you want to wear them again? Yeauuchh!

K x

quilting fan 05-11-2009 04:56 AM

I love to iron clothes that have been air dried on a clothesline.People knew when my aunt did her washing,she would hang her unmentionables out on the front porch on the little clothesline she had. :roll: :) She lived out in the country,but still had traffic going by her house.

Judy

Knot Sew 05-11-2009 04:58 AM

When I was a teen there was a rash of underweat thefts from clothes lines. There was a boy who lived close to the mountaion with his family, when they moved, his mother left a large box that was full of nite gowns and panties, just the silky kind...we all laughted and it was the end of the underwear theft...no one reported it lol

reneebobby 05-11-2009 05:44 AM

hahahah i used a clothes line when i lived in Arizona since by the time I finsihed hanging 10 mintues later they were dry. hehehehe Oh but I hung my shirts on a hanger because of this problem.

jbud2 05-11-2009 06:01 AM

I have worn out several clothesline! The coated wire broke down I guess from heavy loads!! And all the rules that were mentioned, I follow them. I guess I learned them from my mother and she was taught by her mother. My son-in-law would love to hang their laundry out but does not have clotheslines. He uses the wooden drying racks. If it's ugly, he sets them in their spare room and opens the windows a bit. I'll email him on particularly good wash days and tell him what he is missing!! (My daughter-in-law married a good guy! He likes to cook too!!!) I also remember the sprinkler bottles and wringers - how many times I ran my hands thru them!! My sisters and I started to iron because we liked to do the sprinkling. Started with Dad's hankies and moved on up. We were having fun at the time.

Butterflyspain 05-11-2009 07:36 AM

Oh yes I remember it well......

and the frozen nappies that took days to dry.

Here in Spain I can hang the clothes out and they are dry in 1/2 hour in the summer.

Elle

Sew and Sew 05-11-2009 09:47 AM

Well like sooooooooooooooo many others on the forum I love your clothesline story. I love the smell of the clothes when they have been hung outside. It is funny that this story just came out. Two weeks ago my husband came in from an auction.........we love to go to auctions......anyway he had a 'bottle with the sprinkler in it", and an umbrella clothesline........well........I immediately found a spot for it, and even though we have had lots of rain I have managed to hang out my clothes almost every time. Now here is MY CHALLENGE for all who are intersted in using their clothesline.........Let's come up with clothespin bag ideas and share.........i can't wait. I have a plain old one that i use, but it would be cute to have a new one. I am looking forward. Now i did not read all of the notes, so if some one has already come up with this idea, I apologize, but I will be looking. Let's do it.

k3n 05-11-2009 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Sew and Sew
Let's come up with clothespin bag ideas and share.........i can't wait. I have a plain old one that i use, but it would be cute to have a new one. I am looking forward. Now i did not read all of the notes, so if some one has already come up with this idea, I apologize, but I will be looking. Let's do it.

I've got one I made from fabric and a kiddy clothes hanger - it's not pretty but it's serviceable - here it is!

K x

Butterflyspain 05-11-2009 12:24 PM

I have one very similar to that, Colin had it when I came here and it gets used all the time.

Elle