Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Yet another dumb tv program.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/yet-another-dumb-tv-program-t279037.html)

Karo 05-29-2016 08:33 AM

I do not have cable or satellite...no TV...gave it up several years ago; could no longer stand the inane shows and especially obnoxious commercials...30 minute shows were down to about 15 minutes show and 15 minutes commercials. Shows I want to see, I get on the TV screen (without commercials) fom the internet.

MadQuilter 05-29-2016 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7561479)
I rarely watch anything new when I am quilting.

Me too. If anything new is on I find myself watching it rather than sewing. In those instances I am actually glad for the commercials as I sew like a crazed fiend when those come on.

gale 05-29-2016 09:50 AM

This is the first time I've had almost nothing on my list of shows to record. I added Mistresses last night (which starts on Monday) and I will be recording the last couple episodes of The Americans. I also am a little excited to start watching America's Got Talent again. I have missed Simon Cowell's wit on AI and am looking forward to seeing him on AGT. Although I wish they would get rid of both women and get one intelligent one.

Devious Maids is a fun watch-I'll be adding that when it starts next month.

gale 05-29-2016 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle (Post 7562191)
Why is the show "dumb" just because the questions are tough? Try watching for a while, you might just learn something.

She listed several reasons why she thinks it's dumb. Not just the questions.

TeesMeema 05-29-2016 10:02 AM

It's HGTV for me.

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7561460)
This is '500 questions' - wow! I do like semi intelligent game shows like jeopardy, and actually that's probably the only one around, but this one is over the top.....the dramatic light show, strange music and the format are really bizzare. the questions were really tough and 5 seconds to answer....contestants had the smarts to answer, but trying to follow the pattern of this program was a bit confusing. Needless to say, won't watch again....summer tv watching is going to be a real drag.

I listen to Classical Music as I sew. When I do watch tv as I quilt I watch HGTV or Create Tv.

tenngal 05-29-2016 10:03 AM

500 questions

I didn't care for it either and I'm a big fan of Jeopardy. Also too many reality shows coming on and most of them are staged. I plan to quilt more and watch less this summer.

farmquilter 05-29-2016 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota (Post 7561683)
500 Questions had Ken, the all-time winner of Jeopardy, as a contestant. He got two strikes right away, and I shut off the tv. Only 5 seconds to answer the questions, and they were way beyond me. Dumb is right!

That is the same part I saw, did the same thing--tv off. Who makes up all these stupid shows, the free antenna channels have more to offer than the networks.

Geri B 05-29-2016 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by paoberle (Post 7562191)
Why is the show "dumb" just because the questions are tough? Try watching for a while, you might just learn something.

I must say, I have over the years watching question/answer programs..learned many things, some useful and some just rattle around in my brain...but once in awhile I will answer an odd question with the correct answer and my kids think I'm a genius....I'll just let them continue thinking that....
I tuned in quite by accident and thought I'd check it out....the "dumb" part, in my estimation, was certainly not the level of intelligence it took to answer the subject matter correctly in 5 seconds, and the academic qualifications of the contestants was impressive, but rather the basic format..as far as making it a "light show" - over dramatic background music, and how the contestants actually competed/ answering questions. Along with a few additional bits of real intelligent information, I "learned" not to watch this program again.........

tessagin 05-29-2016 06:29 PM

I agree and I couldn't believe Dan Harris was hosting or one of the hosts.

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7562707)
I must say, I have over the years watching question/answer programs..learned many things, some useful and some just rattle around in my brain...but once in awhile I will answer an odd question with the correct answer and my kids think I'm a genius....I'll just let them continue thinking that....
I tuned in quite by accident and thought I'd check it out....the "dumb" part, in my estimation, was certainly not the level of intelligence it took to answer the subject matter correctly in 5 seconds, and the academic qualifications of the contestants was impressive, but rather the basic format..as far as making it a "light show" - over dramatic background music, and how the contestants actually competed/ answering questions. Along with a few additional bits of real intelligent information, I "learned" not to watch this program again.........

Cactus Stitchin 05-29-2016 07:22 PM

Guess I'll be the odd person as I really enjoy the show. We watched it last year and were very happy to see it return this year. The rules are actually pretty simple but it does take a little to catch on and understand the scoring. I really enjoy learning odd nuggets of information so find this show enjoyable.