Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Yet another phone spam wrinkle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/yet-another-phone-spam-wrinkle-t252642.html)

Pollytink 08-28-2014 02:34 PM

Yet another phone spam wrinkle

At least it's new to me! I got a call today that showed on the caller i.d. as MY name and MY phone number...apparently I was calling myself! Caught it in time and didn't answer it. Needles to say they didn't leave a msg. Called my phone provider and they said the telemarketers can use a filter and make the i.d. show your own name and number instead of e.g. "caller unknown" etc. I might be tempted to answer one of these just to see who it is and harrass them a bit.:(

mandyrose 08-28-2014 02:49 PM

ugh! was this your home phone? I finally got rid of my home phone I was paying $20.00 a month to have it just sitting there and none of the phone calls were for me I get calls from collectors looking for my ex and we divorce 18 yrs ago and collectors looking for a family member that I haven't seen since we were kids we have same last names.so far they haven't got to my cell yet, but I do get calls on my cell saying I won a trip stuff like that I don't answer them.

nativetexan 08-28-2014 05:34 PM

I have gotten that too. Now i get the number with the last two digits different every few days. Over and over. I do report them but some don't give up.

mary quilting 08-28-2014 06:24 PM

I get some one that dos not speak English that sends me 2-4 pics on my cell phone every day :mad:
I don't Know them I don't open them. I am thinking about changing my number.

cashs_mom 08-28-2014 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by mary quilting (Post 6864242)
I get some one that dos not speak English that sends me 2-4 pics on my cell phone every day :mad:
I don't Know them I don't open them. I am thinking about changing my number.

Talk to your provider. I think that they can block numbers for you.

sept97 08-29-2014 03:46 AM

I answered it when it showed my own number and I asked why are you spoofing my name & number...they said it's the company we work for and I told them to talk to them and to knock it off then I hung up on them

ManiacQuilter2 08-29-2014 04:25 AM

GO for IT and have fun. I don't have caller ID, wish I did. Someone tried to sell me a vacation package when I hardly leave my apt being disable. I hung up after he didn't listen to my THIRD "NO Thank You"!!

Snooze2978 08-29-2014 07:14 AM

Got the same thing but they mispelled my name so knew it to be a telemarketer. Get a call most everyday so just let the voice mail take over. Only problem is they continue to call back whether I answer it or not as they're trying to determine when someone is home. I just write down the phone # (including my own) and add it to "blocked #'s". Problem with that is I have only so many I can block before I run out of spots. Most calls are recordings so you don't even get a real person on the other end to tell them not to call you.

shasta5718 08-29-2014 07:21 AM

It's not just phones that you get your name used, I had a bug spray guy come around and tell me he was helping me from just down the street and he had a special deal. I told him I had used Moxie before and they were not my choice and wanted to know when I moved down the street.

quilter68 08-29-2014 07:36 AM

Some of these calls are from overseas and the speaker can use several languages. So....I make up my own language - Oie, suse. someesha? and so forth. This is a language that none of them speak and they just hang-up. They don't call back!