Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Are you old enough to remember... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/you-old-enough-remember-t147706.html)

Kehoeta 08-25-2011 05:41 AM

I was taught that it is ok to sew over them... But I don't now....

Just like everything else - we learn new things

dogsgod 08-25-2011 05:44 AM

I find if I slow down my machine tends to find it's way over the pin without hitting it. I very rarely break a needle. Too lazy to stop and pull out every pin! Of course I avoid pinning at all whenever possible!

featherweight 08-25-2011 05:46 AM

I try not to, but sometimes they just appear and I do hit them!!

leatheflea 08-25-2011 05:47 AM

I just bought a new Brother machine this year from a dealer. I go back to that dealer often to by thread because I get a discount on everything else in the store since I purchased a machine. Anyway while talking to the dealer a couple of weeks go she warned me harshly not to sew over the pins, alot of the new models can short out if you jam a pin in them. Now I've been sewing for years and its a habit to sew over them, thats how every sewing teacher I had taught. But with the fear of shorting out my machine, in the last few weeks I've been taking the pins out just as I get to them. Not a hard habit to break when you talk about hundreds of dollars to fix. Warranty doesn't cover it if they find a pin jammed in there somewhere. Sometimes I think all these bells and whistles arent worth the hassle.

Barb44 08-25-2011 05:47 AM

I used to but don't much anymore. If I think I need to, to hold the fabric, I will stop and 'walk' the machine over it.

just_the_scraps_m'am 08-25-2011 05:50 AM

rarely use them & when i do i don't put them in the way of the foot...
there ARE ways of sewing over them w/o breaking anything-- seems like a no brainer...

Annie68 08-25-2011 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy
I was stitching along and accidently sewed over a pin. It made me remember how the big advance in sewing was the hinged foot. The ballyllhoo was that you could sew over pins!! And we did it for years. THEN the wisdom was don't sew over pins. It is hard on the pins and if the needle hits it, it can break. So I avoid stitching over them, do you?

I always try not to sew over pins, happens though
:!:

eparys 08-25-2011 06:00 AM

It is not a good idea but I do all the time - but I am very careful and go slowly when I do this. If you hit a pin just right, you can really mess up your machine. After working for Viking, I have seen some very unhappy machines that ran over too many pins.

If I have a block or a border that I need to "ease" into place and it would require many pins, I do what we used to do in clothing construction with sleeves. I run a tad longer stitch just inside the seam allowance and loosen the tension. I then pull one thread to tighten up the stitches (like you would gather but without the gathers - does this make sense??). Works great for easing one block to another when they are a bit off.

Annaquilts 08-25-2011 06:01 AM

I try and avoid sewing over them.

pocoellie 08-25-2011 06:04 AM

I do remember sewing over pins, along with broken needles and bent pins and sometimes damage to the fabric, so I decided that that's ridiculous to keep replacing needles and pins and have been taking the pins out before the needle gets there for many years.