Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Are you old enough to remember... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/you-old-enough-remember-t147706.html)

pollyjvan9 08-25-2011 06:06 AM

I don't sew over pins.

Cheri_J 08-25-2011 06:14 AM

I pin below the stitch line. I never sew over them - just above them.

quiltmouse 08-25-2011 06:17 AM

only if I HAVE HAVE HAVE to due to ease. I go really slow, and if I can, pull it out just as I get to it. But, my machine is an old Singer 403, nothing to short out. Will not dream of it with my new to me computerized machine.

One thing that works well with easing quilt blocks when attaching rows & larger pieces, I put 2 pins parrallell to where the seam line will be, 1/2 inch apart, and sew between them.

For ease assistance, I have a "useless" pink singer seam ripper (tip too fat to ease under a thread & cutting field is in wrong place) that I use to push upper ease under the foot, I push with the ball. It helps a surprising amount.

patchsamkim 08-25-2011 06:25 AM

I know several people who have had problems with their machines after sewing over pins...or rather sewing onto a pin. Besides breaking needles, it can mess up your machine, and can be costly to fix. Better to take out your pins just before you get to them.

eparys 08-25-2011 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmouse
...For ease assistance, I have a "useless" pink singer seam ripper (tip too fat to ease under a thread & cutting field is in wrong place) that I use to push upper ease under the foot, I push with the ball. It helps a surprising amount.

I do this as well - works great - but I use it sideways and use the back edge of the tip piece.

Grace MooreLinker 08-25-2011 06:35 AM

As most of us were taught to sew over pins by our home make teachers in school, I used to but don't any more. I don't use pins often due to my tremors ,I stick my self more than the fabric, I found some small clippies that I use
and they must be removed to big to sew over. But I have had the pins or needle break and fly out , hit me since I wear glasses missed the eyes, so not sewing over them is a good idea.

Grace MooreLinker 08-25-2011 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by eparys

Originally Posted by quiltmouse
...For ease assistance, I have a "useless" pink singer seam ripper (tip too fat to ease under a thread & cutting field is in wrong place) that I use to push upper ease under the foot, I push with the ball. It helps a surprising amount.

I do this as well - works great - but I use it sideways and use the back edge of the tip piece.

enjoyed your moosehaven blog.

quiltingaz 08-25-2011 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Barb44
I used to but don't much anymore. If I think I need to, to hold the fabric, I will stop and 'walk' the machine over it.

This is what I do. But try not to go over them or even use them unless I absolutely have to.

Central Ohio Quilter 08-25-2011 06:40 AM

I also try not to, especially after hitting a pin once that broke and hit me in the face. All I could think of, what if it had flew in my eye instead of my cheek?

Charlee 08-25-2011 06:48 AM

I was taught to "sew over"...and that's fine on the vintage machines, with the exceptions of the whole breaking needle thing.
The reason I stopped? I don't think I have a vintage machine that doesn't have "pin scratches" on the bed.