Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   For you seniors-think back (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/you-seniors-think-back-t120131.html)

Rose L 05-01-2011 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Painiacs
Cold up here in Michigan and our furnace died! Brrr thank goodness for blankets!!

I am so thankful for you that it is not first of January! May the warmth of spring arrive for you immediately!!

lucniak 05-02-2011 02:45 AM

I did the same every year for a long time.Now I think of it but forget when time comes.Have senior moment. LOL

Laura3 05-02-2011 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
Ok I am not a senior yet(38) but I do remember those days and the mayday flowers we left on our neighbors doors!!

That's what we did also! We made the flowers out of paper and put them in a cone type paper vase with a handle. We were told to pick a neighbor and hang it on their door knob. I always left mine on the door of Mrs. Rodgers!

Julianna 05-02-2011 04:46 AM

We still do May Day fun. Wonderful spring here, cool and rainy. I do not like going from winter directly to summer - sweaters to shorts - and appreciate a gradual change. My daffodils are blooming, iris have buds as do redbud trees and many wildflowers are beginning to be seen in our woods. I enjoy all seasons but not excessive heat as some summers.

Rettie V. Grama 05-02-2011 04:56 AM

It just moved north.

Zephyr 05-02-2011 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Do you remember on May Day where you would have streamers on flagpole at school and play over under, etc? The sun would be shining, all the little girls would have cute sundresses on with shoes and socks. Remember any of that?? Well, today in the Ozarks, it is 47 degrees, rainy, somewhat windy; our heater is turned up, we have layers and layers on. What is wrong with this picture? What happened to our SPRING??

I don't remember ever dancing around the May pole, but we alway made May baskets to hang on people's door knobs. You rolled construction paper to make a cone and added a handle. We filled them with candies and some Spring violets. Hang them on someone's door and run and hide so you could watch their surprise.

mummadee 05-02-2011 05:03 AM

I only remember that from books, I grew up in Newark, NJ in the 50's and we didn't do anything like that.
For the past 5 or so years my gardening friend an I have done May baskets for each other. So much fun to come out in the morning and find them. Surprise!! This year we've added another buddy so there were 2. Mine were both purple. Gorgeous.

Maralyn 05-02-2011 05:32 AM

We celebrated May Day before global warming! Now it's to cold - overnight low of 36 degrees here in Iowa.

Chuckled when I saw the "For You Seniors" heading. I was reading the Omaha World Herald yesterday and they had a story about a trial where an "elderly" lady of 60 testified against a drug dealer. Bet that label didn't set well with some of their readers....including me.

Linsoblu 05-02-2011 05:59 AM

Yes I remember! We also did the May baskets with flowers to put on our neighbors door step.

kdlingenfelter 05-02-2011 06:20 AM

Be happy it could be snowing