Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: For you seniors-think back

Do you remember on May Day where you would have streamers on flagpole at school and play over under, etc? The sun would be shining, all the little girls would have cute sundresses on with shoes and socks. Remember any of that?? Well, today in the Ozarks, it is 47 degrees, rainy, somewhat windy; our heater is turned up, we have layers and layers on. What is wrong with this picture? What happened to our SPRING??

It seems the last few years we have gone from winter to summer with no spring and from summer to winter with no fall.

Quote Originally Posted by nanaquilter
    It seems the last few years we have gone from winter to summer with no spring and from summer to winter with no fall.
    same thing her in Michigan, The past couple of years my dwarft iris' have been in full bloom, this year they barely have buds on them yet.

Blog Entries
    It is cold here today also

We did the same here in the UK. Called dancing round the maypole!! Red/white/blue ribbons on a pole and we worked patterns by dancing!! Happy days!!

Blog Entries
    yep, i remember. but then, I was in Houston,TX
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok I am not a senior yet(38) but I do remember those days and the mayday flowers we left on our neighbors doors!!

Oh spring is there, but it is just too cold for it to come outside.

we aren't getting anymore spring in the Ozarks - we will go right to summer. And Since I am ready for the heat, Let Summer arrive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember dancing around the maypole. It was a big deal, because only the 5th graders got to dance, and the younger ones had to watch.

I think we almost skipped spring and went right into summer! Temps in the high 80's but cool at night many nights. I'm afraid it won't be long before it won't cool off much at night! I'm glad we had more insulation added a few months ago. We can already see a difference.
    :-D :-D

I sure do remember all the sweetness of May Day but I remember one year when our teacher said it would no longer be celebrated at our school, I'm not sure if it was the school district that made that decision or the government but it was so sad to hear that because I remember our whole class being very confused and disappointed about it.

SNOW in New Mexico. will be 27 degrees todnight! This on May first!

It seems like it is all winter any more. I so want some warm weather!1 I am in my flannel jammies! I remember it being so much warmer this time of year!! Not sure where they went anymore!!

OMG!!! Haven't thought of May Day in .....many a day! The pole and all the colorful streamers!

Blog Entries
    Cold up here in Michigan and our furnace died! Brrr thank goodness for blankets!!

The same thing, but opposite here in Texas. We were in the 90's last week and no rain. My lawn is now brown. Of course we have a house over our head and a little money for gas, so I can't really complain, after the southeast got hammered by tornadoes and rain last week.

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    I also remember the May Day pole and the little baskets (cones) we made and filled with flowers to place on neighbors door. We had to quit doing all this during the Cold War as it is a Russian tradition. We even burned any book that came from Russian or was a Russian fairy tale. Sad, sad.

Yes, I remember winding the maypole in grade school and when spring was warm.

We didn't do the Maypole, but we did the flowers in the cone. I didn't know it was a Russian fairy tale. Our kids and grands sure miss out on a lot. Of course, the weather is so lousy that up north the flowers haven't come out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Painiacs
    Cold up here in Michigan and our furnace died! Brrr thank goodness for blankets!!
    I am so thankful for you that it is not first of January! May the warmth of spring arrive for you immediately!!

Blog Entries
    I did the same every year for a long time.Now I think of it but forget when time comes.Have senior moment. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    Ok I am not a senior yet(38) but I do remember those days and the mayday flowers we left on our neighbors doors!!
    That's what we did also! We made the flowers out of paper and put them in a cone type paper vase with a handle. We were told to pick a neighbor and hang it on their door knob. I always left mine on the door of Mrs. Rodgers!

We still do May Day fun. Wonderful spring here, cool and rainy. I do not like going from winter directly to summer - sweaters to shorts - and appreciate a gradual change. My daffodils are blooming, iris have buds as do redbud trees and many wildflowers are beginning to be seen in our woods. I enjoy all seasons but not excessive heat as some summers.

Blog Entries
    It just moved north.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast