Puppy Training

Old 07-29-2011, 05:32 AM

Is leash training different for little dogs? Willow (that's what my daughter will name her) is only going to be about 10 pounds. What other differences will there be with a little dog?
Old 07-29-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by gspsplease
I favour using the words "Hurry up" when you want your dog to toilet -- the neighbours don't know what it means, and it's the first thing that comes to mind when you are standing outside at midnight or when it's raining.
I s'pose loud-whispering "pee pee night night" into the darkness isn't the classiest way to get our pups to take care of business, but the neighbors think it's hilarious and now they all use it, too.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
Is leash training different for little dogs? Willow (that's what my daughter will name her) is only going to be about 10 pounds. What other differences will there be with a little dog?
None. Dogs are dogs are dogs, regardless of size. Yes, you have to be more gentle but the techniques are exactly the same.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:35 AM

Have two cocker spaniels. they are 7 and 9--still use the crate for night time and during dinner (they are beggars). Used the "bell" method for the youngest (the other was 1 year when we got her). Works well except sometimes he just wants to go out--every half hour (has to be tied up--no fenced in yard.) A lot of bending down for me. Our home is not complete without a dog.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:02 AM

Positive thoughts, speaking, lots of patience and love.
Lots of YUMMY rewards for the good things !! Take a class read a book and then do what works for you and your dog as no 2 dogs are alike (kinda like humans- no 2 are alike!LOL)
For every 1 bad word it takes 100 to make it better ~
Old 07-29-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by denise d
I would suggest getting a dog crate. I know people dislike them and think that they are being cruel.

I have a German Shepherd and a Shepherd mix.... and for me they work great. My dogs put themselves in their crate when my boys get to be too much for them. :) It is nice safe place that is their 'den'

It also helps in the house training stage, as dogs often do not prefer to dirty their 'den'

I agree wholeheartedly - the crate become puppy's safe spot and is terrific for training - you know they love it there when they take all their toys in. Also they get a biscuit each time they go in so that works - of course, I had labs - food always works with them!!

Good luck with your puppy!!! :)
Old 07-29-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by HollyInfinite
If its your first puppy I'd highly recommend going to a trainer. It may cost more than getting a book but your getting help from someone that has experience and if you have questions you're able to ask.

One thing for sure, don't use puppy pads. Once you get a puppy they are old enough where you should be training them to go outside, take them out every few hours. If you put puppy pads in your house it makes it harder for the puppy to understand that it should be going outside rather than just using the bathroom in the house.

A lot of people recommend puppy pads, but my parents bread dogs when I was growing up and its a big no no once you take a puppy home.
I so agree with you on puppy pads.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:58 AM

Ceasar Milan "The Dog Whisperer" has methods that are simple and direct and that work surprisingly well. His TV show is great too. He has books and videos for every stage of a dog's training. Brian Kilcommons is very gifted too- If you can, read "My Smart Puppy" and "Good Owners, Great Dogs" And I would also read the Monks of New Skete: "The Art of Raising a Puppy". All these people truly understand dogs and how to develop a great relationship with them.

As for classes and puppy school: They can be a mixed bag depending on trainers AND attendees. Their biggest plus is socialization and exposure to new things. Make sure you follow your instincts about what is right for you and your pup. We were enrolled in a couple of classes with past dogs with really awful instructors. They were punitive and harsh and engaged in much shouting to get what they wanted from a dog. Stupid. Even more stupid considering our dog was a terrier. (You have to use positive training methods with terriers and other "think for themselves" breeds.) We quit those classes! And in another class, a big husky treated our little dog as prey, both the trainer and the owner were not stopping the behavior, which was doing more harm than good for our dog, so we quit that one too. So I'm just saying to use your own good sense there.

If you are getting a small breed, remember to treat your little one like a dog, not a baby. (I say as I type one handed with my little dogs sleeping in my lap,) The best things for a new puppy are frequent and safe socialization with people and other pets, plus exposure in a non threatening way to new situations and sounds, etc. That makes for a confident and well adjusted pup who finds life a great adventure.

We have 4 dogs in our family - 3 of whom are rescues - and using the knowledge we gained from these books resulted in a happy and harmonious pack. They bring much joy and love to our family.
I wish you much joy with your new pup too!

Whatever You Are - Be a Good One!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233266[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233260.jpe  
Old 07-29-2011, 07:38 AM

BUT: Watch out for trainers that are cruel to dogs. There are too many of those out there.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:30 AM

I have always started with a puppy over the years(5 in all of my 61 yrs., only 1 at a time, so you can see I keep them a long,long time)...for my last one is now 2 yrs old I decided to use a book for training her so I could do everything "right"...never used one before...originally her name was Funny Girl, however, after following the directions in "Dog Training for Dummies" her name is now Devil Doggie...lol...still, I love her and would not trade her for anything...I think alot of training you'll find is common sense and knowing to follow your heart with your puppy, though I do think having a professional helping to train is a good idea...good luck and happiness with your puppy always...Naomi :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: