Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: putting away the sewing for the Thanksgiving holiday?

Blog Entries
    Anyone else having to pack up the sewing and Christmas projects to make room for Thanksgiving company? I am packing it all up, boxing it by priority, so as soon as the company leaves on Saturday I can start back up again with more room than I have now. We're cleaning up a store room we have downstairs to use it as extra space for the holidays (it's 12' by 24'), and it gets to be sewing room when we're done. I can't wait, I'm so excited to have my own space.........

Blog Entries
    Oh this makes me thankful that I have my own sewing space and can shut the door and no one goes in there...:) I am happy you are getting your own space.

Blog Entries
    I'll just close the door and go next door for the holiday!:)

My sewing machine isn't really in the way at my house. We won't have any guests that will be in from out of town so....I won't have to put anything away. :-) Very glad. :-)

No, since I won't be here but even if I was, I wouldn't be putting it away, since my little sewing room is separate from our home.

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    My studio is the room that used to be the formal dining room. We sold the dining room table and chairs, bought some folding tables and chairs that store nicely in the garage and bring them out for big gatherings. So, the answer is "nope"! The folding tables go up around the house in other rooms 'bistro' style. We will have 20 for Thanksgiving.

Blog Entries
    we're expecting between 20 and 25 for dinner and about 10 of those are from out of town and will be staying at the house till Saturday, right now my sewing room is in the office so between the 2 computers it doesnt leave room for my 2 machines so I have been spreading out to the dining room table, but at least by Christmas all I'll have to do is pick up my fabric not my machines (I'm hoping for a sewing machine table for Christmas, I even printed out a picture and store location of the one I want lol, and set it on my husbands desk, how is that for subtle)

Blog Entries
    I am putting mine away, we are having our Thanksgiving on this Sat. I have to put mine away often as my kids that live a couple of hours away come often, I sure wish I had a room that was just dedicated to sewing, but thankful for what I do have.

Blog Entries
    is your avatar a picture of your sewing room? if so very very nice
    Quote Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
    My studio is the room that used to be the formal dining room. We sold the dining room table and chairs, bought some folding tables and chairs that store nicely in the garage and bring them out for big gatherings. So, the answer is "nope"! The folding tables go up around the house in other rooms 'bistro' style. We will have 20 for Thanksgiving.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lisainmo
    Oh this makes me thankful that I have my own sewing space and can shut the door and no one goes in there...:) I am happy you are getting your own space.
    Ditto! :-D

No thank goodness. I just have to close the door. Hopefully i won't be to tired from all the cooking because i want to work on a project later that night when the family goes home....maybe :lol:

It use to be that way for me and I hated it! Now I just make a great big mess and close the door!

I will most likely sew through the upcoming holiday. None of the kids are coming and my Mom and siblings are all meeting in California.

No, thank goodness, as Thanksgiving will not be at my house! I can leave my stuff as-is! It is good to have guests once in a while though, to make me REALLY clean and root out unneeded stuff. I'm glad my Christmas projects won't get slowed down, though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    I will most likely sew through the upcoming holiday. None of the kids are coming and my Mom and siblings are all meeting in California.
    I will be sewing Thanksgiving day too..no family going to be here that day

I have 36 in all coming for Thanksgiving dinner, but all 4 of my kids will be home! Who Hoo! My dining room table is my sewing room, so yes - it will all have to get put away. :( The worst part is putting it all back because then I can't find anything, even though it is a mess on the table, I know where everything is! Except lost a couple seam rippers and my glasses! Ha-ha! Happy Turkey Day!

Blog Entries
    I don't pack anything up unless it is going to another room.

Blog Entries
    Last year we had 25 for dinner at our house - the very first time in 20 years my husband and I had hosted Thanksgiving dinner. Everything went well and we thought the torch had been passed from our mom's to us. For 20 years prior to that we have done 2 dinners every Christmas/Thanksgiving and Easter. My mom is widowed and 74 his mom will turn 80 on Thanksgiving day. But, my DFIL is in poor health this year and my DMIL has decided she wants to do the big dinner at her house is year, I am afraid to say why. My SILs and I are bringing everything but the turkey/stuffing and collards so she shouldn't have too much to do. Luckily for me I have a dedicated sewing room, so even when dinner is at my house Idon't have to move my stuff - just close the door-lol. I do have fond memories of sewing at the kitchen table at our first house when we were just married and then later at our dining room table when the kids were small. Try to enjoy your day, no matter where your sewing table is!!

We are going to the in-laws, all I have to do is make a dish or 2, get the rolls and take the deep fryer to their house. Lucky me and I have Weds. off work too, but have to work Fri and Sat. Not a big deal, I'm not into the black friday sales and all the shoppers

np3
    Blog Entries
    (I'm hoping for a sewing machine table for Christmas, I even printed out a picture and store location of the one I want lol, and set it on my husbands desk, how is that for subtle)[/quote]

That is a great idea! Instead of his desk, I might try his pillow!

Blog Entries
    LOL well he was SITTING at his desk when I put it on his desk
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    (I'm hoping for a sewing machine table for Christmas, I even printed out a picture and store location of the one I want lol, and set it on my husbands desk, how is that for subtle)
    That is a great idea! Instead of his desk, I might try his pillow![/quote]

Senior Member stitchingmemories's Avatar
    Not here. It will just be my husband and I this year so "life as usual". Besides I'll be sewing Christmas quilts until Christmas Eve I'm sure so I need to stay "moving". lol

Blog Entries
    Nope! I am sooooo looking forward to a few days of R&R (or sew and sew).

We all go to our cabin in the woods, about 2 hours from here, I won't be able to sew until I get back Friday. We take everything there and oldest DD is my assistant, every year, a few others help and bring snacks, deer meat goodies, late DBIL use to smoke a turkey, DSIL will do it in his honor this year. We have turkey in the oven, mashed potatoes, gravy, frozen corn, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, Brown N serves, Pumpkin pies, special cheesecake, carrot cake, chocolate cake, cherry pie, apple pie. Lots of people.
    Happy Thanksgiving all. Many blessings, although we has 2 less family members this year.

I too will be sewing, have a craft fair on Sat after.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast