Question about moving

Old 03-29-2011, 08:34 AM

use some of it to pay off your current mortgage early by paying $10 'extra' with each mortgage payment. That $10 goes toward the principle, which will reduce the mortgage

This is such an amazing thing! Dh did an accelerated mortgage program for some Lenders back in the early 80's. It was always so cool to see how much faster you paid off with (their program) and extra $100 or $200.
Neighbors come and go so it would boil down to how much you desire to change your entire environment.
Neighbors do come and go s
Old 03-29-2011, 08:39 AM

I"ve lived in this house since 1967, when I married my DH. We've had some bad neighbors, some neighbors who partied and screamed most of the night and pounded on my door for me to call the cops because he was beating her (they had a phone, she just wanted someone to gripe at because sometimes he wasn't even home that night) and other neighbors who were real nice. I've outlasted all of them, now have neighbors who mind their own affairs, don't have loud parties, smile and wave when we meet and the only ones with small kids have taught them good manners. We also have 6 foot fences all around the place.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:51 AM

As far as the mortgage goes I work for the Credit Union where mine is hold and I always send more than due to go to principle and they won't sell my mortgage so no worries there. There is also no early payment penalty and I a not in a balloon mortgage situation so that is good too :-)
One neighbor owns and the other rents from our old neighbor (they are cousins) but is in the process of buying it from him. Hubby and I have talked about the fence going up but I hate fences....they say good fences make good neighbors but I don't know....to me they indicate hiding from the neighborhood and I am not that way lol
We have been in our home for 8 years. We moved in two months after we got married and my daughter was born 5 years ago. There are a lot of memories here but I know it is the people and not the house that make the home.
The real determining factor for me will have to be the economical one. It is not like we are miserable here we just love having property (we only have half an acre here)
I will ponder all these points good and hard and hubby and I will discuss them before any steps are taken. I know a great real estate agent so I will sit and talk to him and see what he thinks. I have seen some homes in our neighborhood sell quick and some don't...
Thank you all again!
HUgs
April
Old 03-29-2011, 01:58 PM

If your only trouble is with the people living near you, i would stay. I have one who is great and the other one on the other side, we don't associate with. It works for us. Why go through all that moving when it may happen at the new place???? I wish you good luck with you decision!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:35 PM

Good fences DO make good neighbors and I don't like them either. But I planted leland cypress just in from the property line and put some other shrubs and flowers with and now I have a great fence!

The picture is 2 years ago so the trees are bigger now and really screen them out. The line of trees is about 100' long from the side of the house to near the back woods.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-177064.jpe  
Old 03-29-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
You all bring up very valid points and I so appreciate the input...more than you know. We have contemplated it for some time but sadly with the economy the way it is there is no way we will make back what we put in to the home. We could get more than we owe but wouldn't walk away with a huge amount to do anything in a new home.
To move closer to where I work is definitely not an option. The taxes go WAY up the closer I go to my job. My job is located about 40 minutes north of Manhattan. The taxes in this area range from about $14,000 to about $40,000 per year :shock:
Our neighbors really are not people you want to be next too...the value of our home I am sure will go down considerably the longer we stay here because they do base it on the homes around your home for appeal. They do no home maintenance or upkeep, no flowers....I won't go on and on but truly not people I want to live next to forever. Thye can be friendly enough but....
As far as doctors go my husband and I already travel an hour and a half to see them so the area we are looking in would actually be closer to them.
I am also contemplating the old buy land and build.....not sure I want to take on two mortgages though due to my illness.
It really is a tough decision and I really do appreciate all of your thoughtfulness and guidance! Thank you!
Hugs
April
I agree that building would be stressful. I would not move further away from work if I were you. Those neighbors could also move and provide you with wonderful new ones!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:45 PM

Even if you really want to move, this isn't the best time to try to sell your house, buying one it's a great time, but not selling. It sounds like you need to write down all the pros and cons of staying where you are or moving.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:45 PM

I know what you mean I just finaly finished remodeling my house and DH retired he hated the traffic so we moved and did the same thing here remodeled the house just think about where you are moving to.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:25 AM

I don't envy you dear lady, with an illness, making a move is so difficult, I know, as I have CFIDS and unfortunately it rules my life. All of the above gave you such wisdom, I hope things work out for you. Izabella is beautiful and I loe her name.

Blessings.

Helen
Old 03-30-2011, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

These decisions are soo tough! Neighbor issues are hard to deal with (our neighbor nightmare finally are gone after 8 yrs...) but you might want to think about what moving to "the country" and owning property will mean.

I don't know about NY, but county codes are generally looser and building/zoning codes are not as strict. What that means were we live is that people can park like 18 junk cars in their yard and no one can do anything about it (see above note of nightmare neighbors :roll:) In addition to that, more property means more maintenance and upkeep. With your health situation, will your DH be able to keep everything up all by himself and still have time to spend time with the family doing "fun" things? Its a dilemna..we love the county and I don't handle neighborhoods well...but taking care of property is really hard, not to mention time consuming.

Good luck with your decision...I know you are exploring every side of it...its a tough one!