Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
A question for the mommy's out there!!! >

A question for the mommy's out there!!!

A question for the mommy's out there!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 11:53 PM

TWO of any small-ish soft toy

we had a MONTH of sleepless nights when miss 11 was a baby and LOST her favourite soft dolly

so....each kid since then has had a toy in reserve.......swaped in and out so they wear evenly and look the same

no use trying to get a screaming baby to accept a brand new copy of their dido-saw!!

after having 10 kids, it's the best advice I can give....someone else mentioned the boxes of diapers!!

Old 05-15-2009, 04:10 AM

As a Nanna to 5 grandchildren... Apart from the usual supplies you have all mentioned, my idea was for the Mom herself...

I made up a basket for the new mom.. toiletries, some pretty panties, a lipstick, perfume, magazines, chocolates, a Baby Journal,photo album.

Theres lots of things you could put in depending on how well you know the recipient!!!

Everyone fusses over the new arrival and its lovely to give the new mom a special treat basket just for herself, as she has probably been collecting everything for baby for months and given no thought to her own needs, and after all.... She deserves pampering as well. :)
Old 05-15-2009, 12:30 PM

I have a regular gift I give to new moms, easy to make. I made oversized recieving blankets, used double layer of flannel, square it up, serged the edges, stitched two lines of quilting up one way, two lines of quilting up the other way. I was given one of these as a gift when my son was born and it turned out to be so useful to have a lightweight blanket sized big enough for a toddler. We used it for years. If you don't have a serger you could choose another way to finish the edges, binding or whatever.
I also like to give a free photo session at a photographer. Mom can use it whenever she wants.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:40 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Brand new baby - Grandma - here. I asked Daughter in-law.
So many people give cute colored and printed "onesy's" Body suit that snaps from shoulders to under diaper, short sleeve for warm weather. Daugher in law really likes haveing more white ones to put under things.

I know, I know, not glamorous. But very much appreciated.

Plus, real prefolded diapers with blanket binding sewn on one end for fancy "birp" cloths.

Good luck !!

Happy Grandma !
Ell
Old 05-15-2009, 01:57 PM
nel

A vaporizor for the sick times and stuffy noses!
Old 05-15-2009, 02:12 PM

Having TWIN boys 3 years ago, I leaned what was necessary and what wasn't. Bouncy seat, Bumbo/beebeepod seats, monitor, Bibs, diapers, formula & bottles, jumparoo, onsies, carseat/carrier, stroller and a crib/pack-n-play.

We had toys and clothes galore, and these were items we could not live without. All the other stuff sat in a corner untouched, and sold at yardsales or given away. so much money spent. Warmers, cookers, steam cleaners, all of that stayed in boxes.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:28 PM

Hooded baby towels were awesome to have around too. They are super easy to make.

When I had my shower, no one bought me bottles or soap and lotions, wash cloths. Now I always buy the little things because it seems all people get are clothes and larger items from family. That little stuff can run you into money at the last minute.

I usualy make a basket too when someone is having a baby. I also make a quilt. Last time I did it, I put the baby quilt over all the stuff in the basket and tucked it in. Then I added a bow and everyone loved it.

Lynette
Old 05-15-2009, 03:52 PM

If she is going to nurse (organic mom and and formula - doesn't fit...) and if she is a really close friend: Merino wool nursing pads. You only need 2 sets, one to wear, the other to dry. She will NEVER have a leak with them, and the lanolin in them prevents cracks and sores and blocked ducts. I sure wish I'd found them for my first three - my daughters will all be getting them when they have their babies.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
Don't laugh! Get some Mylicon Drops. It's gas medicine for babies. I spent the first 3 weeks bouncing a 10 lb 12 oz baby boy. I was so tired & he got really heavy. His doctor gave me some & from then on we kept them. That soy formula does it. That was 16 years ago & I still tell every new parent to get some before the baby comes. Saves a lot of sleepless nights. You can buy at Walmart. Also I had a thing called a diaper genie. It was really nice for the diaper disposal. Those bouncy seat that vibrate are good too.
Both of my girls, had the Mylicon drops, a diaper genie, and the bouncy seat. these are great products, and if mom and dad haven't already gotten them, parents need the baby monitors. I know, i know, we didn't have them, back in our day, but with SIDS, we could have used them. If I had it to do all over again, I would go out and buy some.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shelley
If she is going to nurse (organic mom and and formula - doesn't fit...) and if she is a really close friend: Merino wool nursing pads. You only need 2 sets, one to wear, the other to dry. She will NEVER have a leak with them, and the lanolin in them prevents cracks and sores and blocked ducts. I sure wish I'd found them for my first three - my daughters will all be getting them when they have their babies.
*I nursed my kids, and two of my girls, have nursed theirs. One daughter hasn't had a baby yet, but I have never heard of these pads. I will have to check them out. thanks, shelley.