question for a realtor

Old 04-06-2017, 08:40 AM

Thanks, you have all given me information that was needed and helpful.
We have set up a list of things to do monthly over the next year that will hopefully help us sell quickly and make it out of here at least breaking even. We are going to rent a storage unit which I had to fight long and hard for.
I'm taking all the rooms down to minimalist and repainting. I am going to have a plumber change out all the faucets in the house. DH's vacation the end of the month will be working on adding to the landscaping, repainting the porch and staining the deck. June vacation will be hauling all the junk out of the crawl space, purging and putting the rest in storage.
We have worked very hard to keep up the house and yard and I sure hope it pays off!
Old 04-06-2017, 10:21 AM

I haven't bought or sold for a while now, but one thing I would like to add is to look at your area and what is selling. I live in what is considered an upscale neighborhood. I bought a fixer upper house 17 years ago for WAY under market because you can barely give a fixer upper away in this neighborhood. this house had been on the market for over a year. Apparently, no one is capable of doing anything or hiring anyone to do it. For me that was a boon, but not so good for the seller.

When we sold my husband's mother's house several years ago, it was something of a fixer upper in an area of the city considered more working class (although I'm not really sure what that means, we work hard!) and we never even put it on the market. We had offers before the house was completely cleared out. In that neighborhood, people want to buy houses that they can buy cheaper and then fix up. There's a lot of difference in what people in different areas are looking for.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:19 PM

We have a house for sale now. Realtors take in many things when pricing a house, go for the best you know. We had a realtor last year who ended up representing both us and the new buyer. It ended up badly, this time around, we signed papers she can't sell our house, she represents only us. Our realtor believes that everyone watches too much HGTV and the buyers think you will let them 'steal' it because it's not updated according to TV shows. Don't fall for it.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:51 PM

I sold my Grandmother's house last June. I advertised it on Craigslist and had 35 replies. I had it sold and still people called and offered me more money, some all cash. Two different families asked to be in line if the loan did not go through.
The new owner went thru a bank who required a lawyer. I had all the proper papers to close at the court house but the bank was in charge. I am glad I went "by owner" and would do it again. It is nothing to be afraid of. Also, you do have a choice of the realtor's fee. Some say 6% but some are advertising 3% now. Check it out.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by patski View Post
they look at all of it. check your home value on Zillowmy home value and you will be shocked at how close they come to your property value. Good luck with your move!
OH patski, thank you. I just looked my home up on that Zillow site you mentioned. My home value has gone up nearly $40,00 since I bought it if that site is accurate. Wow. Ka-Ching! Happy feet dance!
Old 04-06-2017, 08:36 PM

Last time I sold a home the realtor had a friend who wanted the house. Kept trying to get me to lower the price. I refused and suggested that I needed a new realtor. Changed his tune and I got full price. I didn't HAVE to move.
I just was looking for a downsize, as it was to big for me and didn't want to spend my retirement time with constant housekeeping and massive gardening.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by tuckyquilter View Post
Last time I sold a home the realtor had a friend who wanted the house. Kept trying to get me to lower the price. I refused and suggested that I needed a new realtor. Changed his tune and I got full price. I didn't HAVE to move.
I just was looking for a downsize, as it was to big for me and didn't want to spend my retirement time with constant housekeeping and massive gardening.
Reminds me of my house hunt. First Realtor kept showing me these odd little houses with massive stairs, fireplaces, and other problems I did not want, in far flung locations. When I finally got him to show me what I wanted, a manufactured home on its own land, he took me to only one. Ram and jam sales pitch, I asked for an inspection and He told me I could not have a copy of the inspection since it was a private inspection and could only be shared with the seller and Realtor, and that the home "had a small erosion problem that could easily be fixed". (That is when I told him I had worked for Century 21, and knew that I had a right to read the report.) When I finally got the truth straight from the inspector, the house was owned by the Realtor I had hired, AND sitting over a sinkhole! Next! I found a new Realtor, she and I looked at three perfect homes, and I bought the third. Easy Peasy. Be careful out there.

Last edited by madamekelly; 04-06-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

My friend is a realtor. She said the younger buyers won't pay a penny over what Zillow says the house is worth. The buyers bring the print out from Zillow with them.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:47 AM

One thing I learned from selling my first home - if you have furnishings or belongings that you absolutely will not part with, GET THEM OUT OF THE HOUSE before you show it!

I ended up getting pressured into including a bunch of MY furniture into my first home's sale, and being young & naive I went along with it, and have regretted it ever since. If they never see it, they can't pressure you to include it.

We also had someone break the handle off of a locked cabinet during the sale of another home. Trying to snoop? Trying to steal? Who knows. But now I all but EMPTY my house when I'm going to sell it. It's a pain, but easier for me than dealing with snoops and thieves.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:51 AM

When I look at the houses on my street on Zillow, it prices a home a few doors down at a much higher price, probably because it has a pool. However, it has been poorly maintained and our house is fully remodeled. Zillow can't tell that. Take the "Zestimates" with a grain of salt.