question for a realtor

Old 04-07-2017, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Do not go according to Zillow. As others have stated contact and interview realtors. You don't have to use a realtor but do not go according to Zillow. Zillows comps are based nation wide not locally. If you do list with a realtor tell them the buyers should use a local appraiser who is familiar with the area. Some lenders are willy nilly when it comes to appraisers and will use the least expensive who may never have worked in the area. When it comes to a plumber have them do a hydrostatic test which is very important for your sewer lines if you have a sewer system. Nice to have new fixtures but more important is the plumbing lines. I have always "suggested" since a seller plans on moving to just go ahead and pack personal items. You can keep a couple group photos out to keep you happy (we love to look at our loved ones) but expensive jewelry, heirloom items, I would pack and store. I keep my meds in one large Ziploc bag. easy to take with you if a realtor is going to show your home later. Good luck. Remember every area is different and so are the comps. [QUOTE=madamekelly;7799719]OH patski, thank you. I just looked my home up on that Zillow site you mentioned. My home value has gone up nearly $40,00 since I bought it if that site is accurate. Wow. Ka
Old 04-07-2017, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

I would have complained to his board and gotten a new one anyway.
Originally Posted by tuckyquilter View Post
Last time I sold a home the realtor had a friend who wanted the house. Kept trying to get me to lower the price. I refused and suggested that I needed a new realtor. Changed his tune and I got full price. I didn't HAVE to move.
I just was looking for a downsize, as it was to big for me and didn't want to spend my retirement time with constant housekeeping and massive gardening.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

A buyer brought one of those to me. Told him the printout wasn't worth the paper it was written on. He wouldn't have been able to buy it anyway, he wasn't pre-approved and not even close to it. I won't waste my time on an unapproved or unqualified buyer. This is where a realtor can put your house on market and state pre-approved buyers only or Proof of funds to accompany any offers. you can look at the offers but you don't have to say yes or no or even negotiate til you see the bank letter for proof of funds or pre-approval. No older than your property is it should be up to code. Younger buyers really need to speak with knowledgeable realtors. Too many younger buyers listen a lot of the flippers on tv.
Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My friend is a realtor. She said the younger buyers won't pay a penny over what Zillow says the house is worth. The buyers bring the print out from Zillow with them.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

I have a house on market and will be closing soon. I was very unhappy when I went to check on it after it had been shown often. Now it was empty but drinking cups were left and they evidently ate their lunch from a take out. I contacted the last agents and after having seen them on Facebook I reported them to the board. To say I was angry would be mild. No one has to leave anything furniture or otherwise in the sale of the home. If any agent suggests you do this move on to another. You're selling the property not the furniture. If you are going to sell furniture, we in Texas have an addendum for Non-Realty items with a price point. Not sure about other states. [QUOTE=Sewnoma;7799900]One thing I learned from selling my first home
Old 04-07-2017, 08:52 AM

Here they go by square footage and size of lot.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
OH patski, thank you. I just looked my home up on that Zillow site you mentioned. My home value has gone up nearly $40,00 since I bought it if that site is accurate. Wow. Ka-Ching! Happy feet dance!
Zillow is somewhat accurate. They show a house in my area as valued at $395,000. It was just listed for $365,000 last month. It hasn't sold yet.

You dont' have to leave furniture. Our last house was empty when we sold it. However, it was also a 5 year old home so looked really good. With an older home furniture can cover a multitude of sins. Story from my childhood: The neighbor across the street's husband was in the Marines and posted overseas. She wanted to paint the living room but couldn't move their huge heavy couch. She just painted around it! The new owner's were pretty surprised when they went in the house after she moved and had a beige living room with a large green rectangle on one wall.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 04-07-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:37 AM

This thread has really been eye opening for me! I am dreading finding a realtor and getting the house on the market even more than the cleaning and preparation. I told DH we better die together sitting on the couch watching Netflix cause I'm not going to move again after this.
Patrice: I was thinking the same thing about the fake fireplace that's to big for me to move!
OnebyOne: Guess the kids won't be buying my house. I'm realistic when it comes to price but I'm not giving the house away either.
Tessagin: I looked at Zillow and our house was appraised for way more than that just two years ago when we wanted to see where we were at as far as a price. The dump next door just sold for $120 and it has foundation problems, mold in the attic, one tiny bathroom, one tiny kitchen and the backyard is bare of grass with a chicken wire fence around it. Hopefully whoever just bought it will fix the yard so it doesn't hurt our property value.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:48 AM

I'm a big fan of Dave Ramsey. He has ELP's (endorsed local providers) on his website. I've used them and was very happy. I'd definitely check them out before I decided on a realtor. If you live in a large neighborhood, you can also watch the signs. In my neighborhood, there are realtors who specialize in that neighborhood and so know the area, houses and how to sell them. I think that helps a lot.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:34 AM

If you are working with an experienced and successful realtor (not you friend's father who just retired and wants something to do) they likely know more about your neighborhood than you expect. If they don't, find someone else. Your job is to find the right realtor. Their job is everything else! Good luck. Trust and verify to the best of your ability.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:56 AM

"not your friend's father who just retired and wants something to do" Oh boy can we identify with that point llong0233.

Out of courtesy, we asked the daughter of our neighbour (who owns a real estate office) to value our property. She really low-balled us, insisting that the place should be priced at least $50,000 less than the other company. We think she did it so that the price would be so attractive that she would not have to put much effort into the sale. Needless to say, we went with the other company, which upset not only the daughter, but her mother, our neighbour, as well. They did not even say goodbye to us. But we got a wonderful extremely professional realtor who pulled out all the stops in advertising and promotion. Plus we got exactly what we wanted in price.