Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question for those who do Machine Embroidery

In the past I have made many FSL snowflakes for presents. I purchased a great sturdy wash away stabilizer online about 3-1/2 years ago after reading a recommendation somewhere online. I don't know if it was Vilene or a Vilene like product. I went to make a FSL piece today and couldn't find my stabilizer. Luckily I had some samples and wound up using a double layer, of whatever brand it was. It just wasn't as sturdy as what I had and can't find, and it didn't work as well.
    For those of you who do FSL embroider, which stabilizer has worked the best for you...sturdy, doesn't tear through in the denser edge areas? Oh, and what is the best source for the stabilizer you use?

Any tips, suggestions, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Well I use vilene with success. The key is to not rinse every bit out. I also use Floriani's product which is similar. When you rinse the FSL, use some liquid starch to retain some stiffness as it dries.

Blog Entries
    I use sew n wash. Generally one layer works great, but sometimes I will double it, just to be on the safe side. When I am done, I lay my FSL out in a cookie sheet, then cover them with warm water, letting them set in it about 3-4 minutes. Then I remove them, blot them with a paper towel, then let them dry flat. Works great for me. If I want them stiffer, I don't let them sit in the water very long, or if I want them softer, I let them sit in it longer......

Quote Originally Posted by scowlkat
    Well I use vilene with success. The key is to not rinse every bit out. I also use Floriani's product which is similar. When you rinse the FSL, use some liquid starch to retain some stiffness as it dries.
    Where do you purchase your Vilene? Is it available in stores or does it have to be ordered online?

Quote Originally Posted by 1234Irene
    I use sew n wash. Generally one layer works great, but sometimes I will double it, just to be on the safe side. When I am done, I lay my FSL out in a cookie sheet, then cover them with warm water, letting them set in it about 3-4 minutes. Then I remove them, blot them with a paper towel, then let them dry flat. Works great for me. If I want them stiffer, I don't let them sit in the water very long, or if I want them softer, I let them sit in it longer......
    Who makes the sew 'n wash? The cookie sheet method sounds like a good way to do it. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I will call my Machine store Monday and ask them. That's all it says on my container. I think they must repackage it with their own label or something.

Quote Originally Posted by 1234Irene
    I will call my Machine store Monday and ask them. That's all it says on my container. I think they must repackage it with their own label or something.
    Thanks so much! That would be great!

I dissolve the tiny pieces that I tear away in a little warm water then paint them on the snowflakes then let them dry on a flat surface. Absolutely no waste!

Vilene here, but have on occasion used the stuff they have at w/m..(can't think of the name of it) but it's close to vilene, except I use 2 layers of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Honchey
    I dissolve the tiny pieces that I tear away in a little warm water then paint them on the snowflakes then let them dry on a flat surface. Absolutely no waste!
    Kinda like starch or white glue, but free! Great!

Quote Originally Posted by tuesy
    Vilene here, but have on occasion used the stuff they have at w/m..(can't think of the name of it) but it's close to vilene, except I use 2 layers of it.
    I will have to check it out the next time I am there. Our closest W/M just has precuts, so don't know if they would have it, but the 2 that are near where I work still have yardage, and they might. Is it prepackaged or on the bolt? Where do you get your Vilene?

Blog Entries
    I called my store and they said that they get it from The Embroidery Store? Not very helpful, but she did say that it was actually called sew n wash... Hope this helps.

Thanks Irene. I will look into it. I appreciate you checking into it for me.

I believe the WSS at Walmart is Wash n Gone from Pellon. I use it and Solvy in the light weight and heavy weight. For the light weight Solvy I wait until Joanne's runs a 1/2 off coupon to buy it by the bolt. For FSL I use 2 layers of Wash n Gone.

Hancock's carries the Pellon Wash n Gone.

I don't shop WalMart, but do shop online and can find the solvy there. I use two layers for my FSL and it works great. Check with www.sew4less.com or other embroidery sites and see what they have.

Thanks for all the advice! I will check each of them out. It is so nice to get advice from those with more experience.

Blog Entries
    I go to Joanne's and when the 541 wet and done is on sale I get about 15 yards. I double it in the hoop and it works very well for all the FSL, if I have a design that looks like it might fall apart, I will go over the first part twice.

I try to do about 10 or so in my large hoop while I am doing them.
    Nancy. . . Alameda, Ca.

Usually I like Floriani's Wet and Gone or a product I get from the local Bernina Center called Badgemaster. In a pinch I get a Sulky product from Joanne's called Ultra Solvy. My preference is the Wet and Gone; then Badgemaster but all of them are okay.

Blog Entries
    I use 2 sheets of heavy duty solvey. It keeps all the stitches where I want them. sometimes I layer used pcs between the two sheets. are you joining the ornament swap????
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    The vilene is good but Sulky has a heavy duty you can get from Joanns as well. I've even used a double or triple layer of the one the sell on the bolt and it worked well. For FSL, try using a sharp needle and lower the speed and that should help. It took me many tries but I finally even got the cone serger thread to work. It was for things for kids and I didn't care about the sheen, I just used these tips plus a larger needle. I also like Floriani thread.
    Judy

I was just looking for the ornament swap, is there one this year?